Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Last I checked the speed limit below the Class B airspace was 200 knots. Yet, many of the people I fly with (including myself) often ignore / have no idea of our position with regard to flying below the Class B enroute to a satellite airport.

Do you use the Jepp Class B charts to help with this problem?

Do you guess when you're under the "B" and it's time to slow to 200?

Do you just blast in at 250 until it's time to slow for confiuration?

Looking forward to your input...

AZT

I don't pull the Jepp papers but rather, before the flight I check it out on out EFB's.

From what I've seen most people don't adhere to the speed restrictions below class B or like you said they just are totally oblivious to the fact that they are under it. I feel like an ahole sometimes always telling guys to slow down coming into Orange County from the west or departing any number of satellite airports out there that fall under the restrictions.

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

I don't pull the Jepp papers but rather, before the flight I check it out on out EFB's.

From what I've seen most people don't adhere to the speed restrictions below class B or like you said they just are totally oblivious to the fact that they are under it. I feel like an ahole sometimes always telling guys to slow down coming into Orange County from the west or departing any number of satellite airports out there that fall under the restrictions.

Glad to see I'm not the only one!
You're not the only one.
I bit my lip and kept to my policy of not micro-managing the f/o when he began accelerating under the class "B" in LA. Just as we were approaching 250K and I mentioned we may have a speed limit, ATC discretely advised our proximity to the Class B. The controller was cool, he didn't ask our speed or anything, it was just a very nice hint.
We were lucky we had a good guy on the scope.
I heard of a Metroliner crew in the Class B in LA that was asked to "keep your speed up". As they emerged from the class B (and still under a higher, class B area), the new controller asked for their airspeed, they replied 250K and they were violated.
Some rules I don't mind breaking. I just hate to DOCUMENT that I'm breaking the rules!

Man, does this sound familiar! We were coming into SNA from over Catalina, and were to told to maintain 250 kts. After we crossed the shoreline, we just happened to be slowing down anyways, due to our proximity to the airport, and SoCal came on the horn and inquired about our speed. We were about 235 kts. at that point, and the controller, in a quick and short way told us that the speed limit was 200 kts. under Bravo. We didn't argue, just responded with a quick, "Our apologies, we are slowing immediately". Never heard anymore about it, but ever since I've been wary of airspace speed restrictions. Honestly, up to that point I'd never really thought much about it. I guess I always assumed (incorrectly, as usual) that being IFR essentially "got rid" of airspace classifications from a practical standpoint. Guess that old saying about wisdom and experience coming from bad decisions is true...

Ignore it in Atlanta and you'll get slammed. Rules are rules. What's that extra 50 knots going to do for you, especially over the short periof of time you're under the Class B. Do the math and you'll see it's only seconds saved versus 200 KIAS. Is that worth a violation or a=chewing?

I just swag it. If it's not a big airport (SAV, LIT, SHV, etc.) I just automatically slow down. TC

The main issue at SNA is that the arrivals are being sequenced in trail and the regulars know to slow and the less familiar crews do not resulting in 50 knot overtakes on the downwind. The controllers are really just being helpful in this scenario because when lateral separation is lost FAA management is going to go looking to pin the blame and nobody wants that letter in the mailbox.

I adhere to it. Coming into SDL, the design of the PHX B and usual altitude assignments coming in from the SE could have you at 250 then at 200 and back to 250. Actually had a Chicago approach controller a few years ago question my 200 kts. going into PWK when I knew I was below the B.

I just blast in at 250...Haven't been yelled at yet... Just kiddin... I slow down... Not just for the speed limit but also for all of the small aircraft around the satellite airports... And if my memory serves me correctly.... Isn't there a speed limit of 200kts at the corridor of the class B. How many of us observe that?

We were just into PWK and chicago approach chewed our ass for slowing down. He wanted 250kts until advised. I guess in Chicago, ATC does what makes everybody fit in. It works well fitting in all that traffic.

Latest resources

Back