• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB pilots say no to alpa/Barely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The failure rate or requirement for additional training is above 10% and the school house admits it's a reflection of the quality of our new hires.

So, yes, if you voted no you are a POS because a CBA was our only avenue to fix the retirement issue.

I just left the school house and of the 11 guys in our class not a single guy failed. So I am not sure where you are getting your info, but it is not correct. Nor did anyone from the two classes prior to mine.

Again. If you don't have the balls to call someone a POS to there face, doing so on a message board only hurts your ability to convince anyone of your point of view on a message board.

If you are relying on an airline retirement to support your years between 65-100 whether it be 5% or 20% match you should probably reevaluate your retirement plans. Just some advice givin to me from a couple thousand current airline pilots that WERE getting better retirements than we ever will.

Last edited:
I have no problem calling anyone a POS to their face so don't worry about that.

Next time you are down in the school house ask them about the failure/retest rate. Re-read the post. 10%!!! not everyone in every class is failing. Some classes have no issues at all. Some of the pilots being hired are simply not qualified. This is not an attack on anyone specifically but it is a reflection of the candidates applying.

I just left the school house and of the 11 guys in our class not a single guy failed. So I am not sure where you are getting your info, but it is not correct. Nor did anyone from the two classes prior to mine.

Again. If you don't have the balls to call someone a POS to there face, doing so on a message board only hurts your ability to convince anyone of your point of view on a message board.

If you are relying on an airline retirement to support your years between 65-100 whether it be 5% or 20% match you should probably reevaluate your retirement plans. Just some advice givin to me from a couple thousand current airline pilots that WERE getting better retirements than we ever will.

Any airline pilot who was relying on their airline pension had no reason to think it would not be there upon retirement. There was no historical precedent for an airline pilot to lose their entire pension. If you aren't relying on some sort of match from your employer then realize you won't have enough to retire. This is not so suggest relying on a pension but rather greater contributions to your 401K or a B-fund. Also a 401K and a B-fund cannot be taken from you in the event of a bankruptcy.
This was one of the major issues during the ALPA campaign. For some reason many of our pilots do not understand retirement or simply do not care.

I have no problem calling anyone a POS to their face so don't worry about that.

Next time you are down in the school house ask them about the failure/retest rate. Re-read the post. 10%!!! not everyone in every class is failing. Some classes have no issues at all. Some of the pilots being hired are simply not qualified. This is not an attack on anyone specifically but it is a reflection of the candidates applying.

So are you saying that the stellar Airbus Company training you received way back in the day was top notch A+? From what I have heard, it was a joke and people were just tossed the books and learned the important stuff once they were online. Since then the training department has become more structured. Along with this comes defined pass/fail standards as opposed to the wink/nudge of the good ole days when the company first started.

10% re-train is not an astronomical number in my opinion, but what would be 'acceptable' to you? It is pretty sad that you badmouth the newhires for the failure of ALPA when in fact most of us couldnt even vote.

Wow, I'm not exactly sure how you derive ALPA as the source of training failures at Jetblue from my post. Not having a CBA is directly relatable to the failure of our retirement package. We are above the training failure benchmark for the industry. This is a fact. And yes our training was horrible back in the day.

Wow, I'm not exactly sure how you derive ALPA as the source of training failures at Jetblue from my post. Not having a CBA is directly relatable to the failure of our retirement package. We are above the training failure benchmark for the industry. This is a fact. And yes our training was horrible back in the day.

Almost all the training failures have been very high time furloughed guys and guys with low time in glass/high automation. Most have been older. Believe it or not very very very few regional/ fractional guys are unsuccessful at our program. Just fyi. I think we can all agree the training at jetBlue is VERY fair.

The failure rate or requirement for additional training is above 10% and the school house admits it's a reflection of the quality of our new hires. QUOTE]

Well food for thought, perhaps it's the training department and not the pilot.
Most flight training departments struggle with standardization. I know for a fact there were changes in the E190 training department

Most of the issues I noticed in training had more to do with instructors that have never flown the line or the aircraft before teaching at JB. All the guys in my class were highly qualified....each could have easily been hired at the legacies if they were currently hiring.

There is a little truth to both sides. When we started hiring instructors, a lot have never flown the bus and also did not have a lot of flying experence, the FAA came down hard on JB for that because they were teaching wrong. On the pilot hiring side, yes we did hire guys that did not have a lot of flying experence. I just flew with one of our senior line CA that does interviews and he told me the pissing match he had with HR,CP with their final eval after the interviews with the people they wanted and he wanted...all the ones they wanted did not have much experence and they wanted to give them a "try". He said there was a lot of re-training goin on.

Latest resources

Back