• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this normal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In this market, if you don't know someone or have a "ton" of hours your chances aren't good.
On the bright side, if you don't like it just stick around for a few years. It'll change!

Non-responses

As old George Bush once said, "Been there, done that."

Unfortunately, it is normal. I was there and done that ten years ago. I had some interviews in late 1990 and early 1991, at the beginning of the recession and beginning of the Gulf conflict. I had no more airline interviews after March of 1991. Moreover, my rate of return for materials dispatched was very low.

It is frustrating. Take it from someone who knows. But, look at it realistically. Who really is hiring right now? I read this board pretty regularly, and the only commuter that I hear consistently that is doing any real hiring is Comair. Don't forget that most of the others still have people out on furlough. So, bottom line, there aren't any jobs to be had. Even the market for CFIs is sucking air.

I always say this, but it is true. Things will get better because they always do. Best thing you can do is take any flying job so you are working and building paid experience and keep at it.

Best of luck with your job search.

I send out two a week required for unemployment and hear nothing. and these are cfi jobs along with the others I'd rather have airnet, amflight etc. it's really frustrating but what do you do.. I'm trying to figure out something to make money while I wait I have a bachelors in business. I'd even sell insurance if I could right now that's how frustrated I am. I trust the guys who have been around that it will get better. Us So. Cal guys should get together and drink away some blues, that's all I can think of to do.

good luck let us know

qwerty,

It is normal not to hear anything, especially now. Out of all of the resumes that I sent out (about 20 different companies) only two called me beck. One company did not respond until a friend walk my resume in. That is the true key! Try these suggestions:

1-send a self addressed envelope with your cover letter and resume. Make sure the envelope and postage is large enough for the company to return an application.

2-send a self addressed and stamped post-card as well, in the hopes that the company will send it back to you. Write "received on ____[date]" on the card for the person who receives your package to fill in. This will keep you informed of whether they have received your resume, at no cost to them.

3-do not put any personal info on your resume, including "excellent health" after your medical cert.
It has been rumored that certain companies will toss out any resumes with personal info on them.

I hope these help and good luck. Keep trying, you will get a bite soon enough!

Hang in there, times are very tough right now... this is very similar to 1991-1992 era when flying jobs were nearly impossible to find... things will improve, it may take a while, but they will improve. Be realistic in your expectations, things are not going to return to the hiring boom time of 1998-1999 anytime soon (more likely never) but things will improve from where they are now.

How long and how good, no one knows... there are a lot of factors out there.... Things may in fact get worse before they get better... who knows... do what you can to make money and stay current... and keep sending out those resumes, you never know when one will end up on a Chief Pilots desk the day he needs a pilot...

Good Luck and Fly Safe!

And yes, we already know that ACA, Comair, and ASA are hiring. Someone always seems to post that whenever someone mentions anything about hiring or jobs! :D

Latest resources

Back