• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPhone 2G Jail Break Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about not trying to screw up a perfectly good OS and pay the price for those of us who actually like the proprietary software of Apple. If you want JB then go back to the world of windows and leave us Mac purists alone. Life is good here as long as people don't try to dumb down the best OS in the universe. We don't need or want tinkerers. We want it to work every time. I pay for that convenience. Go screw with Bill Gates' software!

Dude your a tea bag! My contract is up with AT&T, my Apple Care is over with. And my Apple stock is way up!!!!! But I am on the other side of the world and need a phone. Why would I not want to use a good iPhone? Change out the chip and away I go. It is a 2g iphone no need to buy another one. So before you open your stupid trap think first! I am sure there is an APP that will show you just how stupid you really are.

Thanks to everyone else for the help. I am going to try again!

Some people like to play in the box others dare peek outside and see what life has to offer. Jaaaaaiiiiiiiil break!!!

Actually you don't need to jailbreak a windows phone as it comes out of the box unrestricted and capable of installing anything the owner wishes.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but what I was talking about is the software for JB and iphone (dev team) isnt available in windows format. Nothing to do with windows phones.

JB is goin to be a thing of the past. I think the newer iphones will be jb-proof.

btw, i love my iphone. best gadget ever. but still needs some imporvement. the whole smartphone thing is still fairly new.

Iphone is awesome, except for its limited (basically nonexistent) ability to have multiple apps open at once.

I don't know about jailbreak proof. I am certain there are many techies out there that will be able to get around anything Apple puts out to try and prevent JB.

New iPhones - jailbreak AND unlock proof?

I don't know about jailbreak proof. I am certain there are many techies out there that will be able to get around anything Apple puts out to try and prevent JB.

maybe, but I think apple has become more serious about preventing this behavior.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173629/new_iphone_3gs_may_be_jailbreakproof.html

New iPhone 3GS May Be Jailbreak-Proof

Ian Paul, PC World
Oct 14, 2009 8:08 am
167846-jailbroken-iphone_180.jpg
The cat-and-mouse game between Apple and a cadre of hackers continues, as Apple is reportedly now shipping iPhone 3GS units that are jailbreak-proof. Several hackers specializing in iPhone 3GS jailbreaks are saying that the well-known 24kpwn exploit is no longer viable, because Apple is now shipping iPhone 3GS models with a new bootrom that can resist the hacking technique, according to iClarified.
If you think that last sentence sounded like a bunch of technical nonsense, you're not alone. So let's break this jailbreaking jargon down:

Death of the Hackable Bootrom

A bootrom is a computer chip used in mobile phones to check the device's software when you turn it on, and makes sure the device hasn't been tampered with. I'm not clear on what the iPhone bootrom can do if it detects a problem, but a Blackberry bootrom can shut down the device if a problem arises. To use the jailbreaking metaphor, think of the bootrom as the prison guard who checks that all the inmates are where they should be, before letting the prisoners go about their day.

Hackers used to get by the bootrom using the 24kpwn exploit that would make the guard think nothing was wrong, and everything was running normally within the iPrison. Before the iPhone 3GS came out, some hackers were worried the 24kpwn exploit wouldn't work. Fortunately for these computer rogues, Apple was not able to change the bootrom within its supply chain before the 3GS was launched.

But all that may have changed, since iPhone 3GS devices reportedly began shipping last week with an updated bootrom. Nicknamed iBoot-359.3.2, it is believed the new chip is not susceptible to the 24kpwn hack. Basically, the iPhone 3GS now has a smarter prison guard.
So what does this mean?

Without a hackable bootrom, the new iPhone 3GS is not jailbreakable, which means that you cannot use software on the device that is not Apple approved.

Another term thrown around a lot is 'unlocking' your device. An unlocked phone can run the device on any compatible cellular network, instead of whatever network the phone was originally tied to. The hack for unlocking the iPhone requires modifications to the baseband, which is the system responsible for phone calls and Internet access.

I'm no hacker, so I can't tell you definitively if the new bootrom means the iPhone 3GS is impossible to unlock as well as jailbreak; however, an unlock is dependent on some operations that happen when your device starts up so my assumption would be that new iPhone 3GS phones are resistant to unlocking as well.

So is this the end of jailbreaking and unlocking the iPhone? Probably not, those iPhone hackers are a pretty smart and crafty bunch. But the clock is ticking. Let's see how long it takes for them to come up with a solution to Apple's latest roadblock.

Don't know if folks out there have outsmarted the 3Gs version yet.

have no fears.... rumors have it that Verizon will be in the iphone game by end 2010 or by 2011.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=837101

A BusinessWeek report from last night has received significant attention today for its focus on Verizon's claimed readiness should the company and Apple strike a deal to bring the iPhone to the largest U.S. wireless carrier next year.

Verizon Wireless has even made upgrades that would make its network more capable of handling extra traffic that would be generated by the iPhone, Verizon Wireless Chief Technology Officer Anthony Melone says in an interview.

"We have put things in place already," Melone tells Bloomberg BusinessWeek. "We are prepared to support that traffic."
Verizon has been seen by many customers disgruntled with AT&T's network performance as a likely partner for Apple once the iPhone maker's exclusivity agreement with AT&T expires.

The report notes that the iPhone has placed tremendous stress on AT&T's network, causing data traffic to explode by 5,000% over the past few years. Consequently, many have wondered whether any other U.S. mobile provider would have been able to meet the iPhone demand had they been able to offer the device. The BusinessWeek report points to a vague comment from Melone stating that Verizon has similarly seen growth of 1,000% per year, although recent comments from Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg have pegged the growth at substantially closer to 100% per year. Still, Verizon remains confident that it will be able to provide a quality customer experience for iPhone users should the opportunity arise.

Latest resources

Back