• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad as an EFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I received this email this week from Jeppesen.

We’ve heard from many of you who have an iPad, or are considering getting one, and we agree that this would be the perfect platform for viewing Jeppesen terminal charts. Plus, if you have an existing subscription, or if you are thinking of increasing your coverage's, there will be no additional charge outside the JeppView subscription fee itself.

Look for additional e-mail status updates in the coming weeks and also check JeppDirect.com for the latest on our iPad app.

Best Regards,

Jeppesen Customer Service/Sales Team
Aviation

You definitely pay for Jepp's electronic charts, but being able to get worldwide charts is huge.

So far after you've used it in-flight how do you rate it. I just want to make sure it's the right thing for me before shelling out nearly 1000 bucks.

Overall I still love it and I find more uses for it all the time, albeit not aviation related. Battery seems to go forever, too. I'll use it in flight, watch Netflix or surf at the FBO and use it again on the trip back with tons of battery to spare. Did I mention you can read full newspapers(i.e., USA Today which is free) in flight? Not that I do that, but you can as long as you opened the app when connected to wi-fi so it can cache the current news.
They've added an update so you can use the 3G model's GPS in-flight. They've demonstrated it in a Cirrus, but how well it works in aluminum...dunno. You do not need to sign up for a data plan with the 3G model. I've also seen people use it as an overgrown Tom Tom in their car.
Using it in bright light is just fine, but certain angles seem to wash it out more than others. Even then it's still legible.
If you're used to glass cockpits, you'll find it's just another screen staring at you at night. Dimmed all the way down it's not hard on the eyes. Personally, I like it almost black inside so what I do is invert the screen to white on black.
Don't leave it in the sun for hours and expect it to turn on. It will tell you it's too hot and needs to cool. Put it in the shade for 5 minutes and you're good to go.
I like using the radar in Foreflight better than WSI, especially when trying to see radar at small airports. Type in the identifier and it puts a push pin on the airport, then loop the radar. That or type your full route and see your track compared to the wx.
Lots of cool stuff. If you can get your hands on one before you buy it, do it. Everybody has their own likes/dislikes.

Thx for the responce. I just ordered one. How do you like the case. It had mixed reviews on apple's site and the store doesn't have one you can check out.

The guy that first showed me the iPad had this case so I got the same: Leather case
Looks like a binder(instead of "hey look! an iPad!"), is sturdy, and holds it in super tight. I would NOT recommend using the iPad without a case. Feels like it's going to slide off your lap.

Just remember, if you're going to use it to replace paper, you need to be Pt. 91.

Last edited:
Jepp Mobile TC is a good chart viewer - but it doesn't do nearly as much as Foreflight does.

...but reportedly an update coming after the first of the year will have enroute charts and possibly ship's position data.

Jepp Mobile TC is a good chart viewer - but it doesn't do nearly as much as Foreflight does.

...but reportedly an update coming after the first of the year will have enroute charts and possibly ship's position data.

So does fore flight have ships position data?
I assume you mean on the ground only and only with the 3g unit?

Fore flight has position info....sort of. If your iPad has GPS it will show your position on the map, groundspeed, GPS altitude etc. We have found, though, that if you ever put it away and it loses it's position it will rarely reaquire it until it picks up some cell service. As long ad you keep it near the window it does fine, but most people seem to have at least a couple of moving maps in the panel anyway. We have Jepp and Foreflight and use both every flight.

Latest resources

Back