• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad as an EFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Ultra-Nav Man is one (1) very smart guy sitting in his office in Amarillo or somewhere in Texas. I have emailed and called him numerous times (even offering money) for updates on curtailments for our 135 needs and he never gets back. Smart yes, too smart for his own good, maybe.

Jepp has something coming for the Ipad soon, per email.

Now that is actually interesting. As cool as "Foreflight" is, it's still providing NOS charts... I've been using Jepp for years. I like Jepp. Everybody I fly with likes Jepp... I haven't used NOS since I got my instrument rating in a 172...

I'm no "iThing" fan, but I'm very interested in seeing the JeppView iPad app because that could be the PERFECT backup to our file server...

Yeah, Ipad is a no go without Jepps for me. As far as Ultra-Nav is concerned if they don't jump on the wagon and soon they're going to loose a lot of business to APG who has said that Iphone compatible program (and I would assume Ipad as well) is on the way.

As far as the enroute charts go, I was initially not enthused with the cross section you see. Granted you can pinch the screen to zoom in or out, but finding a specific fix became a little harder zoomed out. But how many times do you stare at your charts for random fixes? Like your GPS/FMS, all you have to do is type in the fix, or even the clearance, and it'll draw the route right over the Hi/Low/VFR chart.

Here's someone's Youtube demonstration Beware, it's 9 min.

Don't know about iPad but for the iPhone use the app "GoodReader" for viewing pdf's. It's cheap and works well.

Thx for the post, I currently use a Kindle DX for approach plates and have paper enroutes. I wanted to switch to iPad but was unsure about foreflight; I'm sold now. What's your commision?

The iPhone/iPad will read Adobe PDF files...but it's the flash player thats the issue. Adobe doesn't make one for the iStuff...so I'm told. That is a problem for us (jetblue) since some of our websites require it. Could be a deal breaker for the iPad. Otherwise...they'd have an instant sale of around 2500 units.

The iPhone/iPad will read Adobe PDF files...but it's the flash player thats the issue. Adobe doesn't make one for the iStuff...so I'm told. That is a problem for us (jetblue) since some of our websites require it. Could be a deal breaker for the iPad. Otherwise...they'd have an instant sale of around 2500 units.

Don't worry. Steve Jobs has already found a solution for you. Just get every web site you use that uses flash to re-write their site in HTML5. Problem solved. And it didn't cost apple a dime!

I'm not a fan of apple's stance on flash or DRM for that matter... But that's a topic for different forum...

Picked one up yesterday and I have to say the more I use Foreflight, the more I love it. You can get everything from one spot and fast. No more paging through the AC-U-KWIK either. However, I do have a couple beefs with it. Here goes:

1. Downloads of all the charts took about 7 hours(slower hotel connection) and I had to individually select every state, etc. What they should have is a "select all" or "select region", but at least you don't have to babysit the download. Just let it go, and, you only do it once every couple months. If your connection drops or you close out, it will pick up where you left off.

2. I was mistaken when I thought you could type in V or J into the route feature and it would draw that route. It will not. Not a deal breaker, but it would be nice on the occasion you get that kind of clearance.

Honestly, that's it. After downloading for 7 hours with the screen on, it was at 45% battery and was still mostly cool to the touch. I have yet to try and file with it. I'm still impartial to my Fltplan.com for that, which btw, you can save an icon of it on the iPad's homescreen. Basically a bookmark right on your "desktop" page.

Latest resources

Back