• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Intoxicated US pilot pulled from cockpit in Netherlands

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know for a fact that the ones used in DOT testing have to be calibrated. I am sure that they do the same over there. If the machine was not calibrated correctly then the person get off.

Interesting. Why then is there so much controversy about the breathalyzers? Several doctors have told me that the only accurate measurement comes from a blood test. Don't know if you can refuse a breathalyzer test and request a blood test instead. That's what I would do.

I agree with that. If I ever test positive and I know I am not, I would demand a blood test.

This however does not dismiss the admissibility of the breathalyzer.

Last edited:
What do the Dutch JAR regs say?

JAR-OPS 1 Subpart B SECTION 1
01.12.06 1-B-4 Amendment 12

(e) A crew member shall not:
(1) Consume alcohol less than 8 hours
prior to the specified reporting time for flight duty
or the commencement of standby;
(2) Commence a flight duty period with a
blood alcohol level in excess of 0·2 promille;
(3) Consume alcohol during the flight
duty period or whilst on standby.

technically it's European legislation, not Dutch.

This is a copy though I saved some years ago, there may have been some changes since. I believe it is now called EU ops. Unfortunately not as clear cut as the US.

Last edited:
Interesting. Why then is there so much controversy about the breathalyzers? Several doctors have told me that the only accurate measurement comes from a blood test. Don't know if you can refuse a breathalyzer test and request a blood test instead. That's what I would do.

You can refuse the breathalyzer and tell the officer your situation. I'm a pilot this can ruin my career etc. etc. and ask for the blood test. Now he's going to have to drive you to the ER I believe to do this, but it's the only accurate way to measure. Now also there is a lot of steps to doing the blood test. If anyone of the steps is done in the wrong order or the officer touches the vile the case is thrown out. Also the nurse taking the blood has to show in court. It's very possible for errors to happen and have your case thrown out. This happened to a good friend of mine who also happens to be a pilot. He was off scott free. Obviously not driving is the logical first step.

So what happens here. Assuming the news reports are accurate and that he was above the limit - does the company deal with it internally or does the FAA step in?

Being Europe, might make a difference, not sure. Also, the fact that he reported for duty complicates things immensely. But typically once a pilot comes under the spotlight as having a "problem", the FAA would immediately void his medical certificate and he would get to enter his company's "spin-dry" program (HIMS) and eventually get a "Special Issuance" medical after about a year of jumping thru the programs/FAA's hoops. Then monitored for a long time. Every airline out there has a group of pilots "in the program"...some airlines have a bigger percentage than others.

.023 is 1 beer for a 160lb man. Burn off rate is approx.015 per hour.

What the hell kind of country arrests and fines you for that?

Who in the hell weighs a 160lbs ?!!? Good God...eat a pizza will ya?!

You don't want your wife to be able to kick the crap outta ya. :laugh:

I believe the FAA limit is .04. However, if the FOM specifies lower than .023, than it is controlling document and may lead to certificate action.

Isn't it .04 to show and .02 to fly?

The reg is silly. You can get hammered enough to fly with a hangover at<.02 as long as you stopped consuming more than 8 hours prior, but if you have your only sip at 7:59 prior and blow .00 when you show, you're in violation.

You can beg to differ, but I know for a fact that the ones used in DOT testing have to be calibrated. I am sure that they do the same over there. If the machine was not calibrated correctly then the person get off.

ACL, you are truly an airline mgmt expert, an expert on all things animal and mineral, and now you have become a trusted advisor on all laws and regulations worldwide.

As soon as you add "graduate of an accredited clown college-suma cum laude" to your list of accomplishments and accolades, I will concede that you are a scholar and a gentleman.

-God-You are a putz!

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point here! What the hell was he doing in Amsterdam being drunk? You're supposed to get high and bang a whore, not go to the bar!

Latest resources

Back