INTL Op's regarding currency?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Daveman

What's the rule concerning changing to local currency vs. paying with, let's say Euros?
Trip in the works to Euro and non Euro countries. A day or two in both. I'd like cash in hand for tips and such but I'd rather not exchange money for a day. Would you seasoned guy's rather pay by plastic or local currency?
Thanks!

I dont mind having leftover Euros or Pounds, they will always get used...stick em in your bag for the next trip.

I dont get local money (ex: Russia) unless its something very small like $20 worth for spending money - water, drinks, etc...on the street

Best rates are usually local banks using an ATM card that does not charge oversea fees. Obviously hotels are the worst exchange.

Euros are always fine to tip in, even pounds...the dollar? - not so much anymore..:0 ..but if so, ya just have to adjust for its worth.

Last edited:
Like G200 said, ATM's are the way to go. They offer the best rates. Just check your card provider for the possible fees. Euro's and Pound Sterling are aways worth keeping. Check an online currency converter to figure what the rate is and get what you need from the ATM's. All of Europe offer ATM's with English option. Enjoy.

Latest resources

Back