Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blueridge71

Outlasted two companies
I do pretty well when interviewers ask me questions, but I feel like I should be asking more when they ask me if I have any questions. I come from a fractional/regional background and haven't worked a corporate job before.

Based on your experience as corporate pilots, what would you want to know about a company that you were interviewing with?

Thanks.

If it's a publicly traded company, I'd go in knowing what the company does, how the stock has been doing, who the main players were, who their competition is in the market place, etc.

I'd show up prepared as much as possible, but some things you just might not be able to find out. I'd ask them about the flight department in terms of its mission - is the flight department for the CEO only? Is it for Sr. VP's flying to meetings? Are you flying sales folks/potential clients/tech reps? Why have their own department as opposed to use airlines/charter/fractional? Do they charter the aircraft? You want to know how long have others been in the department and what created the vacancy.

You also want to find out what your principle passengers are like. Most C*O level people are Type A personalities - they have to be. You want to know their attitude towards aviation and how involved/removed they are from the flight department; their likes/dislikes, so on and so forth.

Good luck. Hope this helps…

I have been on hiring boards and I agree that you should know a fair amount about the company you wish to work for.

Be prepared to talk about your greatest strengths and weakness.

I was asked what my most impressive accomplishment was in my flying career. I said to stay married for 25 years while being a pilot. That brought a few laughs.

You should be prepared to discuss what you expect from this company without asking direct questions about pay, benefits, etc.

The hiring board does not have this information, that is the realm of HR and you will be offered a salary if you are offered employment. Just be yourself and try to be sociable and try to keep it a bit light.

Remember, unless you have a bud on the board, these people don't know you and are judging your personality and their ability to work with you for many years in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
I have been on hiring boards and I agree that you should know a fair amount about the company you wish to work for.

Be prepared to talk about your greatest strengths and weakness.

I was asked what my most impressive accomplishment was in my flying career. I said to stay married for 25 years while being a pilot. That brought a few laughs.

You should be prepared to discuss what you expect from this company without asking direct questions about pay, benefits, etc.

The hiring board does not have this information, that is the realm of HR and you will be offered a salary if you are offered employment. Just be yourself and try to be sociable and try to keep it a bit light.

Remember, unless you have a bud on the board, these people don't know you and are judging your personality and their ability to work with you for many years in a short amount of time.
Jet...Good response...I second that
motion.

I know a guy who had a corporate interview and when asked where he saw himself in 10 years, he said American Airlines. Didn't get a call back. Didn't get to AA either.

Latest resources

Back