Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

generaltso

Marcy Projects
A passenger says he smells alcohol on your breath. You haven't been drinking.

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

Talk to your crew and tell them what he/she said. Ask their advice and if they have any dought to his claim. If they don't, then speak to a CSR supervisor and relay the passengers concerns to them so they can handle it. If your crew or the supervisor has suspisions, don't fly the plane. It's better to be tested and turn up nothing.

Don't argue with the passenger.

Last edited:
Request to be tested immediately! End of story. The last thing the airline wants is some passenger blabbing his mouth about one of the pilots being intoxicated.

Last edited:
You must get tested for alcohol, flight delay or not. After you are cleared, have the TSA list the person on the 'Do not fly list' and give them the number to Greyhound and Amtrak.

Funny story, I actually read a report when I was interning with an airline about a loud mouth that looked into the cockpit as he got on board and yells "I sure hope you guys haven't been drinking". All the precautions as mentioned above were taken, but the flight still did not go. All the passengers were comped new airline tickets, except for the jackas$ that said it, he got a $300 ticket from the cops and was told to go screw himself by the airline!

The answer to this is simple and to the point - GO GET TESTED! The flight will be delayed or canceled and your day just got kicked to the curb.

An accusation of intoxication in this case is a CRIMINAL one. You have been accused of a federal crime by a passenger. That's right! It's a federal crime because it's against FARs! You must take steps to disprove the accusation immediately.

Proving or disproving alcohol intoxication is a clinically medical matter that you cannot undertake by yourself. Someone else is needed to perform objective testing both because you lack the equipment and training, and because a third, impartial party is needed to attest to the result of the testing.

The bottom line is that you will look the passenger in the eye and tell him that he has just delayed and possibly canceled the flight. Contact Customer Service and let them know about the accustation and that the the flightdeck crew will be getting tested at the nearest clinic. They'll handle the rest. I might even consider putting a call into the chief pilot to let him in on the mess.

There is no other acceptable answer to this problem.

TIS

Last edited:
TIS said:
I might even consider putting a call into the chief pilot to let him in on the mess.
TIS
I agree with everything TIS said except the above sentence. Not "consider" it's a MUST call item. Remember just as we consider every potential threat seroiusly we must do the same for every accusation of crew inpropreity(SIC). Call the Chief Pilot and your Union Rep. immediately.

Jobear

Latest resources

Back