• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

International experience worth........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No mudd slingin intended bro! Like I said, I do appreciate your experience in the P-3, whatever your mission was, I have no idea. But, I too had the dilemma how to eat Ramen Noodles for 10 years before I could get a modest thirty thousand dollar a year job, you are to financially strapped to work at. L

It is true that I can appreciate the value of your mission of anti-sub warfare, but what does that have to do flying B737's in New York airspace? If I were looking for subs in the Hudson while approaching Laguardia it may be extra helpful, but I'm not. Again, I value your experience, however. You cannot by any means say your experience is on ounce more valuble than a guy flying king Airs in the midwest in all weather. Just guess, I never viewed my experience as being better than anyone elses. It was just experience that kept me alive and brought me where I am today!

Look around bro, there are plenty of guys slugging around from Barons to Beeches to RJ's working for dirt.

The only question you need to ask is...Do I have the stomache to stick it out while keeping current so MAYBE I'm lucky enough to get called by someone who thinks I met the competetive minimums?

You'll need to beg borrow and steal to survive in the lowly civilian sector. All us civilians know how bad it can be, welcome to "OUR MISSION." IT SUCKS.

This is not MILITARY vs CIVILIAN!! This is what I'd call transition awareness if you will.

I honestly hate it as much as you do, And we are on the same side as far as I'm concerned.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
One more thing here's the search you told me to do on the P-3...

Not sure where I was wrong, guess you were on some double secret probation mission on the P-3.???????????

Where am I wrong?

navffile.gif

P-3C Orion

[font=Helvetica,Arial]Updated: April 5, 2003[/font]

p3c-orion.gif

Description: Four-engine turboprop anti-submarine and maritime surveillance aircraft.

Features: Originally designed as a land-based, long-range, anti-submarine warfare (ASW) patrol aircraft, the P-3C's mission has evolved in the late 1990s and early 21st century to include surveillance of the battlespace, either at sea or over land. Its long range and long loiter time have proved invaluable assets during Operation Iraqi Freedom as it can view the battlespace and instantaneously provide that information to ground troops, especially U.S. Marines.

The P-3C has advanced submarine detection sensors such as directional frequency and ranging (DIFAR) sonobuoys and magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) equipment. The avionics system is integrated by a general purpose digital computer that supports all of the tactical displays, monitors and automatically launches ordnance and provides flight information to the pilots. In addition, the system coordinates navigation information and accepts sensor data inputs for tactical display and storage. The P-3C can carry a mixed payload of weapons internally and on wing pylons.

Background: In February 1959, the Navy awarded Lockheed a contract to develop a replacement for the aging P2V Neptune. The P3V Orion, derived from Lockheed's successful L188 Electra airliner, entered the inventory in July 1962, and more than 30 years later it remains the Navy's sole land-based antisubmarine warfare aircraft. It has gone through one designation change (P3V to P-3) and three major models: P-3A, P-3B, and P-3C, the latter being the only one now in active service. The last Navy P-3 came off the production line at the Lockheed plant in April 1990.

Point of Contact:
Naval Air Systems Command
Public Affairs Department
47123 Buse Road, Unit IPT
Bldg. 2272, Suite 075
Patuxent River, MD 20670-5440
(301)757-1487

General Characteristics

Primary Function: Antisubmarine warfare(ASW)/Antisurface warfare (ASUW)
Contractor: Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems Company
Unit Cost: $36 million
Propulsion: Four Allison T-56-A-14 turboprop engines (4,900 shaft horsepower each)
Length: 116 feet 7 inches (35.57 meters)
Wingspan: 99 feet 6 inches (30.36 meters)
Height: 33 feet 7 inches (10.27 meters)
Weight: Max gross take-off: 139,760 pounds (63,394.1 kg)
Speed: maximum - 411 knots (466 mph, 745 kmph); cruise - 328 knots (403 mph, 644 kmph)
Ceiling: 28,300 feet (8,625.84 meters)
Range:Maximum mission range - 2,380 nautical miles (2,738.9 miles);
for three hours on station at 1,500 feet - 1,346 nautical miles (1,548.97 miles)
Crew: 11
Armament: 20,000 pounds (9 metric tons) of ordnance including:Harpoon (AGM-84D) cruise missile, SLAM (AGM-84E) missiles, Maverick (AGM 65) air-to-ground missiles, MK-46/50 torpedoes, rockets, mines, depth bombs, and special weapons
Date Deployed: First flight, November 1959; Operational, P-3A August 1962 and P-3C August 1969

Copy all jimEJet. While I wear a flag on my shoulder, I try not to wave it at everyone I see. I forgot to say earlier: Thanks for the support. It means a lot.

Enough of the musy stuff. What was this threat about??

Good luck to us all I guess.

jimEJet said:
This is not MILITARY vs CIVILIAN!! This is what I'd call transition awareness if you will.

Let me help out here if I can. In the military you have no dispatchers, no ACARS, no PDC filed by your SOC, you have to do all your own fuel planning (to include your air-to-air refueling plans) no real time WX updateing and your missions include multiple air refuelings with multiple airplanes in the cell followed by a low level IR route with a controlled time to the contact point.

But here in -121 world the vectors to the ILS final can be a b!tch man. And then sometimes you have to wait for wing walkers to marshall you into the the gate. And then....this is really hard to handle....their are other airplanes with similar call signs! Imagine your AA 203 and then a DL 203 checks in on the freq. You gotta stay heads up on that one cause the center is only going to tell you about it once...then its up to you to listen up for the next radio freq. change.

Now dont yell at me guys....I'm just pointing out that -121 flying is fairly routine with very few daily challanges other than dealing with the WX. Its much more mundane and less demanding than an average mil. mission which has multiple events and no mission planning support other than what the crews have done for themselfs. In the military the flying mission is by far more challengeing than the worst day operating from ORD to LGA.

I guess you have never flown 121 Supplemental Charter

Fellas.. I really don't want to see this turn into a military pilot vs. civil pilot war. If I insulted anyone, I apologize. We've all got our own experiences to fill our resumes.

Last edited:
On an airline trip, I have the entire crew (including the stews) meet in the hotel lobby 4 hrs. prior to wheels up for mission planning..........then we step.

Could this be why I'm on EVERYONES "nofly list?"
Dude, I'm highspeed!!!....

Could someone remind me what this thread is (or was) about?

:)

Latest resources

Back