• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

International experience worth........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KellBill, Wiggums, FDJ2, wesb737fo, and flywrite; I would like to thank you all for your help and i appreciate your feedback.

free.bird buddy am not really sure about Middle East, you need to run as fast as you can.....far far away from these guys....really!!

Right now, I'm with my Swiss wife and 2 kids in Zurich trying to figure-out what is the best path to take......

miles otoole; thank you for your nice comments and wish ya all the best...you a true professional.

Moon

Dexter,

I am in a very similar position as you. My TT is 2140 and PIC 760. While my numbers are generally lower than most others I see on these boards, I feel my experience is worth more. I am a Navy pilot and have spent a good portion of those hours overseas in a 4-eng P-3. All but about 150 hours of my TT are in mutli/turbine. (No jet time for me yet). If you look at the requirements listed for many of the Majors, they are 2500 TT and/or 1000 PIC. It is very frustrating.

For guys like me and you, the only thing to do is to look at every possiblity until the right one presents itself. After reading through this thread, I'm going to look at Tradewinds as one of the other guys suggested. The starting pay stinks, but the upgrade time looks very fast compared to all the other companies. Housing arond Greensboro is pretty affordable too.

I'll sum up with a few things I have learned from job-hunting:
1. I assume you have your ATP. If you got a foriegn license, get your ATP.
2. Get your FE written done.
3. Keep your 1st class medical certificate current.
4. DO NOT GO TO A REGIONAL unless you have too. Regionals don't pay very well and it still takes 4-5 years to upgrade to Captain. PIC time is huge. For me, if I can't get a job right off with a Major, I'm flying whatever will get me PIC time the fastest, even small cargo (such as AirNow).
5. Consider attending a pilot job fair. (Check out airapps website). I have not done so yet, but I may. For those of us with low hours, face to face time might help.

Crapy pay is going to be painful for a couple years, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope some of this helped.

My .02

Take whatever job you can right now, keep the money coming in. In the mean time keep looking for greener pastures. Theirs nothing wrong with the regionals that’s where most of us civilian pilots start out, yes starting pay sucks but you have to keep working. Honestly you have been quite fortunate
"I hold 737-200 and A300-600 type ratings. Would it count as 121 or what? My TT; 1650 with 750 jet as SIC." Those numbers in the US would make you about average with the 2yr flight instructors or legal to fly 135-night freight in a pos 210. (Less the types of course)

Don’t get your hopes up for some grate corporate job for every 1-retirement corp. job there is 50 crap operators. A competitive pilot that has the right connections is @5000 tt with multiple types in corp. a/c.

So just to recap:
Keep working take something that can help you move up.

PS. anotherwannabe No box lunch for you.:)

Just a little confused?

In reference to Anotherwannabe?????

You wrote....

I am in a very similar position as you. My TT is 2140 and PIC 760. While my numbers are generally lower than most others I see on these boards, I feel my experience is worth more. I am a Navy pilot and have spent a good portion of those hours overseas in a 4-eng P-3. All but about 150 hours of my TT are in mutli/turbine. (No jet time for me yet). If you look at the requirements listed for many of the Majors, they are 2500 TT and/or 1000 PIC. It is very frustrating.

How is it that flying a 4 engine turboprop overseas looking for submarines make you more qualified than most??? A pretty bold statement I believe. Don't forget there are thousands and thousands of qualified and competent RJ captains that are flying everyday in the domestic system with thousands of flight hours.

The job in which you are seeking is a civilian job! You might want to get a civilian job (even a regional one) that pays poorly so you can get some experience doing what is exactly what the majors do! Don't feel in today's climate your experience is even close to being "worth more."

I know your experience is valuable, however. We're not flying domestically looking for subs over Omaha. We fly passengers in high dense traffic environments.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything you do for my family and me while your flying in the military, however. You might re-evaluate your opinion of civilian commuter guys. Because these are the guys that have four times the minimum requirements the majors require. These are the guys you'll be competing against for a job. And finally, these are the guys that will be helping you through your checkride at the civilian job because you are not completely familiar with the civilian way of doing things.

GOOD LUCK!

Hey Buds,

I wish i could fly for a Regional and get great good domestic 121 experience but not with $17,000/YR , how can i support my wife and 2 kids for that kind of money??? I forgot to mention that i have a 4 year degree in Aeronautical Science.

FXbat; My 750 jet is International route experience as F/O on 737 and A300-600. which i disagree with you sayin "it worth 2yr flight instructors or legal to fly 135-night freight in a pos 210. (Less the types of course)! I TOTALLY DI AGREE WITH U MA'MAN

Anotherwannabe; thankx for your advice bud.

Dex.

Dexter Moon said:
International experience worth with low TT....

I would appreciate any feedback on my international flying experience?

I hold 737-200 and A300-600 type ratings. Would it count as 121 or what? My TT; 1650 with 750 jet as SIC.

Both companies went bust due to financial reasons. Now,my wife and I taking our 2 kids back home(US) and wondering where would i go to with this kind of qualifications??

Moon

I think Tradewinds is hiring onto the A300, although it might be for 1 month tours of Taiwan. (then a month home) Ask CSY MON.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dexter Moon said:
which i disagree with you sayin "it worth 2yr flight instructors or legal to fly 135-night freight in a pos 210. (Less the types of course)! I TOTALLY DI AGREE WITH U MA'MAN

Disagree all you want, but the man speaks the truth. In the US 2100 TT is 2100 TT. They don't care what equipment you flew if you don't meet the TT requirements. The average CFI leaves to go to the regionals or 135 with your TT. Just the way it, sorry.

Anotherwannabe; thankx for your advice bud.

Dex.

Ok…. you’re the man.

I wasn’t comparing the quality of your experience just your total time to others. Look at this board there are people out of work that have twice as much time taxing than you’re total time. You think anyone of those people have flown heavies international as Pic?

There are a lot of people in this world that want a free pass, think they are initialed. Hell some hear pay 20k+ to sit in the right seat of a 1900 for 250hrs instead of instructing. Would you? You have the right attitude.

Do me a favor, when your hired hear in the US. Buy a major international player, Please let me know. Because I have been wrong before. I just think your original question asked. "where would I go to with this kind of qualifications?? You wanted the truth and right now your time and experience is not very competitive.

Actually your experience is very competitive, you total time is not.
I agree with you on one thing, I would not compare you to a flight instructor who has been teaching for two years, THE ONLY THING IN COMMON would be your TOTAL TIME.

Welcome to the world of all does not some equal. I will have 7000TT shortly and have over 1500 In'tl on the 767/757 (most as an FO) not to mention time in numerous other jets, what does that get me? A kid at Gulfstream Intl with 1000 hours on the BE-1900 will qualify for SWA, FedEx, UPS, and Airtran, I don't.

We are all aware of how the game is played, and we all must live with our choices. I avoided the sit at the regional level to gain PIC, I now have that monkey on my back if things go to crap.

Good Luck

AA

JimEJet,
So here's where the dirt-slinging starts, I guess. Happens on all threads. To set the record straight, your internet knowledge of the P-3 mission is lacking. Try a google search for ISR.

Next, I'm not saying that since I'm a military pilot that I'm better than anyone. What I'm saying is that military pilots are thrust into larger platforms and world-wide operations faster than a fella working his way up through the private-CFI-BE90 ranks. 2500 hrs is great; I wish I had it. But you can't deny that 2500 hours is not the same for every pilot.

Latest resources

Back