International Commute

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TDK90

A long shot I know, but would any of the Fracs support an international commute from Europe to the East Coast? I flew 121 for a few years but we moved back to Europe for my wife's family reasons.

Typed, current and VIP experienced on Falcon and LearJet EASA and FAA.

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "support" an international commute.

I know at Netjets, as long as you show up for work on time at your designated base they really don't care where you actually live.

So if you wanted to live in say, Berlin, and have TEB be your base, that'd be fine as long as you showed at TEB on time for work.

Will they get you any special privileges with the airlines, or special pricing, so you can come over from Europe? No.

Hope that helps.

If you have a US address at a friends house and all paperwork is sent there and taxes paid based on that address. What you do on your week off is your business.
If you have a second "vacation home" in Europe which you visit everyother week is your business.
Just don't be late for work and pay your own way to Europe on your days off.

Just don't be late for work and pay your own way to Europe on your days off.

Yep.

At Netjets, if you're on the airlines home on your last day, we can cancel that ticket and apply 90% of its value to go to another destination or destinations. You can't really buy it ahead of time, since you don't know where you're going to end up, but it might save you a little money.

Still, it's going to be an expensive endeavor, and consume much of your days off to get to and from the US.

I know a couple of guys that commute to sweden. With a couple of vacations they make it work. It's a bitch and they lose a couple of days because of it but its worth it to them.

Why would someone with your experience want to work for a US frac?

I commuted from Germany for a year. Netjets was very accommodating. I discussed it with HR and my CP prior to the move and it wasn't an issue. As long as I was in base by midnight on my first work day nobody cared.

Netjets sends you your brief for your first working day by 7pm on your last day off. Since I was usually over the Atlantic at that time I was never able to receive it. It was never a problem; I would just call the company prior to departure and advise my ETA and that I would acknowledge the brief when I received it.

During the whole year the only minor snag was one tour when the company gave me "duty at residence". Once I explained where my residence was they gave me a hotel room.

I worked the 7 on 7 off schedule. With the commute it became 9 on 5 off. At the time I had four weeks of vacation plus a week of paid time off so that meant that for five months of the year I was only commuting once a month.

Initially I commuted on United. Average ticket price was $800 to $1000. With frequent flyer miles every fourth ticket or so was free. During the second half of the year I jumpseated on Kalitta. I can't say enough good things about their crews. They treated me very well

I could have done it for another year but I don't think I would like to do it for longer than that. That kind of commute is not good for your long term health.

Recently I was talking to one of the swedes that Diesel refers to. He had been commuting to EWR on SAS for five years. He was having back issues that he blamed of sitting for so long in economy class seats.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back