Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fussle

Oh John...
What are the requirements (flight plan, pilot, aircraft, etc) to fly IFR in international airspace, but not land? For example, at KDET, the IAF (Windsor VOR) is in Canadian airspace, but the airport is in the US. So part of the approach would be performed in international airspace.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1102/00118IL33.PDF

Last edited:
you're squawking a code with Detroit Approach and in radar contact. As long as you've established contact with the controlling agency you're fine. I used to fly in there all the time VFR/IFR with my students and would cross back and forth over the border with no issues.

Thanks for the reply. What about in lost comm situation? Also, does the airplane have to have a radio station license even if you maintain contact with Detroit approach?

I've been out of the GA game for a while, but as far as the radio station liscense I'd say no. You aren't landing and clearing any international customs, overflying Canada doesn't hold you to the same standards as landing there. Like I said before, I did it countless times with no issues. Hell, I'd even cross way over near London, Ont. on occasion.

As for the lost comm, just follow your standard IFR lost comm procedures. At no point would you randomly divert to a Canadian airport unless you're on fire or a wing is falling off (god forbid). Lost comm just treat it like anywhere else. If DET is your clearance limit, then you'd still land at DET.

Assigned, Vectored, Expected and Filed routings.

Of course emergency situations are extenuating circumstances. Anything is fair game at that point.

Latest resources

Back