• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting NYC article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems pretty simple to put 737's on RJ routes, at least the RJ routes that support that kind of capacity. The regional fleets have gone way beyond regional flying. The system would work much better if regional jets reverted back to flying smaller destination to hubs, and not ORD-AUS 4 times a day. I really don't understand how the whole regional thing has gotten to where it is now. The regional fleets are expensive to operate, and although the crews make less money, for the passenger seats they fly, they are more expensive than the legacy guys. For instance, take a 10 year SKYW captain making 75 an hour and compare it to a 10 year A-320 captain making 130 an hour. Say the UAL A-320 holds an average of 145 people (two class config vs TED) compared to a CRJ holding 50. That means as far as pilot cost to the company, a skywest captain costs about 218 an hour to carry as many people as a UAL captain making 130. I know there are other small considerations to get a totally accurate comparison, but on top of that the regional fleet operates somewhere in the 14 cents per seat mile range where the legacy fleets seem to be in the high 10 lower 11. Doesn't make any sense, and I am surprised that a change hasn't been made accordingly. I think it is coming, I see very little regional expansion over the next 10 years. In addition to that, it would free up much needed space in the sky and on the ground at all the most congested airports.

The airlines have decided that you can stimulate demand by offering 5 flights a day on some routes (using RJ's) instead of 2 flights a day (using 737's.) All other things being equal, it would be much more cost-effective to have the latter scenario -- but businessman may want the option of taking one of 5 flights rather than the more limited option of taking one of only two flights.

I doubt very much that pilot compensation enters into the equation at all. The CASM is much lower in the 737.

I totally agree with that, but I think the consumer demands will slowly get pushed out of the equation if fuel continues to rise and as airspace becomes more saturated. I am sure the businessmen would prefer paying less for their tickets as well, but the state of the industry has dictated higher ticket prices and that has been been accepted by the consumer up to this point. It is anyone's guess what will happen, but I think if the gov starts poking around in it all, there is a good chance that regional flying will be reduced. People want options on flights, but a lot of them don't like being cooped up on a "small" airplane for 3 hours. In addition, I think the public is getting fed up with all the delays. Maybe they would prefer 3 on time flights a day to 6 delayed ones. Who knows, you make good points, all a guess.

Last edited:
One solution: Higher landing fees would encourage the use of larger aircraft. Obviously the airlines do not want this.

Latest resources

Back