• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Indiana 303 charter crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now, imagine if the pilot did NOT plan on charging for the flights - same outcome, right? To me, it's not the fact that he was NOT a commercial pilot (just a piece of paper). It's ALSO the fact that the company who "hired" him didn't do their DUE DILIGENCE prior to sending their employees on the trip.
I agree that the commercial rating is just a piece of paper. As a flight instructor, I had trained 2 people through their commercial rating. They were both 1000 hour airplane owners with their instrument ticket.

Both had forgotten how to look out the windows of their airplane, with all those gages why would they need to. It was a lot of work getting them to do the commercial mnvrs, I had to cover up all the instruments, so they wouldn't stare at them. One guy tried to do Chandelles while staring at the T.C., the only intrument I left uncovered. They both did very well on the checkride, but I am sure reverted to their old ways after the test. I had 50 hour pilots I would send my family with before I would send with them.

It continues to amaze me that nobody EVER asks the crew's flying history. The simply assume if you show up on the ramp with a nice looking airplane that you know what you're doing and you're properly licensed.
Not that the boxes I fly with ever ask, but if I ever fly passengers, it would suck to have to carry around a stack or resumes for them all to read. I think most people assume if you have a nice white shirt with epaulets you are qualified. Maybe the FAA can assign epaulets with the sucsesfull completion of a commercial checkride.

Most people look at me and ask if I'm old enough to be a pilot. One guy said I looked young and then told me to make sure I got his colleague home safely. Of course we don't wear epaulettes to tell everyone we are commercial pilots.

It continues to amaze me that nobody EVER asks the crew's flying history. The simply assume if you show up on the ramp with a nice looking airplane that you know what you're doing and you're properly licensed. Sure, the crew could lie. When my family goes on a chartered flight, I call the FSDO.

If this was a legit charter company they would legally be required to display their charter certificate number prominently near the entrance of the aircraft. This can be cross-referenced easily from the faa website http://av-info.faa.gov/OpCert.asp If it's a legit charter company you can be sure the crew is properly licensed, no need to be calling the FSDO.

sounds like a 134.5 operation, its a shame anyone lost their life. Legal or not the plane probably didnt crash because of the paperwork.

There is operators like this at every airport, they give legit charter operators a bad name. Since i have started going bald i dont have to justify my flying resume on every single-pilot trip.

Name : XXXXXXX Airman's Address : XXXXX
FAA Region : Central
Date of Medical : Feb, 2005
Class of Medical : 2
Expiration of Class 2 : Feb, 2006
Airman Certificates : Private Pilot
Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land
Instrument Airplane

EDITED
MOD INPUT: NO POSTING OF NAMES AND ADDRESSES

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about the 'more restrictive' part.

More restrictive = 3rd. Class can not exercise commercial pilot privileges, but kind of a mute point since he was flying 135 anyway...

Latest resources

Back