Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

g159av8tor

Chicago Style
A managed flight department is a product designed to efficiently and effectively control costs associated with using aircraft for business, in turn they would seem to lower lower pilot pay and benefits. I bet more often then not, total pay packages of pilots at F500 companies flying airplanes internally are higher than those employed by a management company, by at least a third.

An employee's quality of life and job satisfaction in the aircraft piloting career is the sum of (among other things) salary, working environment, aircraft type, schedule / days off, company benefits (401K, health insurance, bonuses, etc) and fringe benefits. What am I missing here in this list?

My intention is not to create another salary study as that information proliferates from numerous sources on the Web, but rather study the correlation between salary schedule / days off and pilot employee retention. Numerous salary studies suggest there is a strong correlation between salary, schedule / days off and pilot employee retention after a training contract expires. I will focus on small cabin (Citation, BeechJet, LJ 30 and 40 series, etc.), medium cabin (Hawker, LJ 60, etc) and large cabin (Gulfstream, Challenger and Global Express) aircraft pilots. I may focus on TOGW if the data is better correlated that way.

I'm still dreaming up a hypothesis, but a rough working hypothesis is after the expiration of a training contract, what salary, schedule / days off combination leads to the highest pilot employee retention greater than fiveyears? (a current arbitrary number)

My ancillary research should uncover what employment length is the break-even point where it is less expensive for a management company to retain current employees versus hiring new employees. Said a different way, since all costs are passed from the management company to the customer, at some point higher pay and better schedules for current employees offset the costs of hiring and training new pilots.

Tailwinds...

Latest resources

Back