• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ILS Critical Area Hold Line

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is all on ATC, you do not have to ask, you are only required to hold short when instructed by ATC. If ATC says nothing then continue on. Do not waste your breathe asking ATC. Save the radio space. The 800-2 is a guide for when ATC may issue A hold short of the critical area. Some of you need a refresher course, its all ball bearings and PFM......

You're right about it being on ATC. But it's kinda like blowing through the localizer when getting vectored for an ILS. Yes it's on them, but you could save everyone some grief by just asking. I think the guy shooting the approach would thank you too.

As was I. Operationally, I don't see why I should care what the minimums are, if they tell me to hold short of the ILS hold line, I'll do it, even if it's clear and a million.

until you are at an uncontrolled field.

Really? You've never taxied out before the tower opens? Or landed after they close?

Nope, not yet. Guess I'm just lucky. Closest I came was at GSP a few weeks back. We landed at about 23:47, the tower had 13 minutes left.

Assume you're not at ASA, otherwise you would have been to airports like GTR, BQK or a few others I can't think of at the moment.

You assume correctly.

Which is yet to happen to me while flying an airliner.

You need to get out more there son. Push aside the Sam Adam's and try a Sierra Nevada.

KACV served by Seattle center see's a lot of traffic and is an uncontrolled field. I went missed during approach call outs (calm,1800rvr,vv100) when the LOC started going full scale left and right like a single mom swinging on a brass pole. This was when there were Horizon, SkyWest, and pt 135 AC on the ground talking to Center. Second time around when we hit the tops and it started dancing again, I asked the FO to call down on CTAF to make sure everyone was clear but got no response so we diverted through real crappy WX dodging cells on the radar catching small hail several times. One of my "great over an ale" stories

First one is on me Ike :)

You need to get out more there son. Push aside the Sam Adam's and try a Sierra Nevada.

Actually, I prefer Pilsner Urquell, Warsteiner Dunkel or DAB Traditional And yes, I'll happily let you buy the first round.

Latest resources

Back