Illegal charter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avbug

The FAA is serious enough about it, they've opened an illegal charter hotline. From the AIN Online email newsletter...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FAA Grant Funds Illegal Charter Hotline
The FAA has provided grant money to fund a hotline for charter operators to report “suspected illegal commercial activity,” according to the National Air Transportation Association, which is administering the system. The hotline–(888) 759-3581–is designed for employees or agents of Part 135 charter certificate holders to report activities that they suspect are illegal charters, NATA explained, “where an aircraft operator without an FAA Part 135 certificate is accepting compensation for transportation, in violation of both FAA and Department of Transportation regulations.” Illegal charter is a perpetual problem in the charter industry, affecting safety because non-certified operators don’t meet Part 135 standards and also undercutting revenues earned by legitimate charter operators. According to NATA’s “Risks of Illegal Charters” guide, “Illegal air charter operations are prevalent around much of the U.S. One review of South Florida’s Yellow Pages and FAA records indicated that 14 of the companies listed were operating a charter business illegally.” Hotline callers can report anonymously and will receive a case number. Details of the case will be provided to the FAA, and NATA will follow up to ensure the agency is taking appropriate action. The hotline is staffed by an independent third-party, according to NATA.
[/FONT]

I did most of my instruction in Wichita Falls TX, a city of about 100,000 people, and no charter outfits could ever survive, because of a guy doing so much 134.5 with multiple airplanes, and several rich clients.

The FAA is serious enough about it, they've opened an illegal charter hotline. From the AIN Online email newsletter...

At least they manage to keep it on the runway.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Hotline callers can report anonymously"

hahahaha nothing in this day and age is
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]anonymous call their 800 number they got your info! There are such things as caller id etc.. but most rats believe they are [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]anonymous!

I Wonder how many false reports they will get! It seems like a big waste of time and federal monies.

If someone is operating without a certificate they will get caught.... I seriously doubt that the general public will know the difference between legal and not legal.

[/FONT]

They are not kidding about this. The issue is that they go after us if it should be a Part 135 flight and we are flying Part 91. A008 is the prelude and they have cleaned up on some of the charter guys, now they are after Part 91 flight departments. Do what you want, but it is hard to fly legally under Part 91 with the rules regarding corporate allocations and personal use by executives.

i can easily see how a pilot wouldn't even know if it was an illegal charter. never knew a pilot to ask for proof of who was funding a specific flight before departure.

There's nothing improper about reporting illegal charter. I'll do it in a heartbeat. An individual who is taking business away from charter operators by doing illegal charter is damaging the industry.

Operators under Part 135 must carry expensive insurance, maintain records and training and maintenance to a higher level, and incur all the costs that go along with it, including hiring qualified pilots and paying to keep them current.

The private pilot or commercial pilot who takes money on the side to fly people or property from A to B not only violates the regulation, but undercuts the legitimate operator, as well as presents a flying hazard.

Correct, mind your own business... Not your, mine, or anyones job to be a Rat.

Considering your overall mentality, there's a lot that could be said about you and rats, but leaving that aside for the moment, you're entirely wrong. It's everybody's business. And responsibility.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If someone is operating without a certificate they will get caught.... I seriously doubt that the general public will know the difference between legal and not legal.[/FONT]

When Mr. Smith pays his buddy Al to take him to Yazoo City in his Bonanza, he knows he's not chartering from a legitimate service. He's paying his buddy Al. Whether he knows it's legal or not is really irrelevant. Whether someone else does, and uses the hotline or other venue to report this illegal operation, is very much relevant, as well as proper. If big buddy Al wants to take the charter, then let him get a 135 certificate, pay for the cost of setting it up, maintaining it, the insurance, the maintenance, and the training...then by all means, go for it. Until then, a violation of the regulation is a violation of the regulation, and certainly deserves to be dealt with accordingly.

At least they manage to keep it on the runway.

Meaning what, exactly?

Latest resources

Back