• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Icing no Problem for Aeroflot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know yall dont remember it but thats how we did it back in the day, russia is just a few decades behind us. Most of the time it works out. Bunch of Girls!

Ha, tell that to a check airman at my outfit that got hammered by the FED! Some MX clown was riding in the back, by the wing, there was a trace of frost on top of wing, not sure if it was wet or frozen, the bottom looked fine according to SOP. Sometime before pushback he took a picture with his cell phone. When he arrived in OKC, he asked someone in the know who said it appeared to be frost, of the frozen kind and they took action against the company!!

When in doubt take a squirt!! This could just as easily been your aircraft with a little some-some on the wing and some student pilot with a camera will broadcast it on youtube!

Then you too could be doing the dance for your chief pilot or DO.

Exactly....never know this day and age when something will come back to haunt you. Not the way to get your 15 minutes of fame on Youtube!

Sec. 121.629 — Operation in icing conditions.

(a).........................................

(b) No person may take off an aircraft when frost, ice, or snow is adhering to the wings, ............................

That argument could be made. If you look at the video you can see that they cleared a portion of the wing to see if it was adhering. Gravity is not the same as adhering.

We in the US, live in the world of the lawyers. Unfortunately. Before the glass viewing, button pushing, ipod wearing, back pack crowd jumps on me for being an idiot, tell me when the last air carrier accident was due to snow sitting on the wing.

Do not go with Air Florida. That had nothing to do with ice on the wings. They produced lift and flew. NTSB.gov. Learn something. I will give you a clue. EPR.

Don't get me wrong, I follow the same lawyer rules you all do and waste tons of deicing and anti icing fluid a year. Just don't be so quick to judge from afar, when the proof in in the pudding. It flew. The miracle is not because it had snow sitting on top of the wing, the miracle is that it is an airbus and it flew. :)

(b) No person may take off an aircraft when frost, ice, or snow is adhering to the wings, ............................

That argument could be made. If you look at the video you can see that they cleared a portion of the wing to see if it was adhering. Gravity is not the same as adhering.

We in the US, live in the world of the lawyers. Unfortunately. Before the glass viewing, button pushing, ipod wearing, back pack crowd jumps on me for being an idiot, tell me when the last air carrier accident was due to snow sitting on the wing.

Do not go with Air Florida. That had nothing to do with ice on the wings. They produced lift and flew. NTSB.gov. Learn something. I will give you a clue. EPR.

Don't get me wrong, I follow the same lawyer rules you all do and waste tons of deicing and anti icing fluid a year. Just don't be so quick to judge from afar, when the proof in in the pudding. It flew. The miracle is not because it had snow sitting on top of the wing, the miracle is that it is an airbus and it flew. :)

I sure hope you're joking. That wasn't dry snow that blows off with a gust of wind, it was heavy wet snow and there was still snow on the wing after rotation so I'd say it was "adhering". In the US, a video like that would be the end of two careers at the least and for good reason. Ever hear of Air Ontario Flight 1363? USAir Flight 405? How about that ATR crash in Siberia just last week?

Last edited:

What airline do you fly for? I ask just so I don't risk putting my family on one of your flights. You understand that just a small amount of snow or frost is enough to change the shape of the wing and make its performance unpredictable. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be a test pilot with a full boat of pax. I'll get deiced thank you.

Let's see:

1) Get De-Iced (especially when everyone else is.) Possibly, occasionally waste a few thousand dollars of fluid that will not come out of my pocket. Make my passengers feel safer and help me sleep that night without worrying about being on YouTube. Or

2) Be a Maverick and risk you ticket.

Risk vs reward.

Unbelievable that some of you defend this practice!!! :eek:

Latest resources

Back