Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Does anybody have an explanation why climbing through clouds we do not generally get any ice, but as soon as we hit the very tops of the clouds...."Bing"....."ICE" light. Usually just a trace of icing, but always coming through the tops.

I have always wondered why I usually pick up icing right at the very tops of the clouds.

Because the clouds are filled with tiny ice crystals. Then near the tops of the clouds the warm sun just slightly melts the little crystals enough so that they will adhere to the ice detectors on the airplane. Sometimes when there is a higher saturation of tiny ice crystals in the clouds you will get a higher concentration of ice that can attach itself to the surfaces on the plane.

Because the clouds are filled with tiny ice crystals. Then near the tops of the clouds the warm sun just slightly melts the little crystals enough so that they will adhere to the ice detectors on the airplane. Sometimes when there is a higher saturation of tiny ice crystals in the clouds you will get a higher concentration of ice that can attach itself to the surfaces on the plane.

That's a joke right?? So at night, the moon does the melting??

Maybe I'm just springloaded into "your a moron" mode!

Those are valiant attempts at the truth, but here comes the actual explanation...Geeorge W. Boosh!

Chemtrails...

The highest moisture level in clouds is usually at the top of the cloud/layer. The worst icing is right around and just below freezing because the warmer the air is, the more moisture it can hold. If you find the OAT at your altitude right at 0°C, then going up 2000 feet might not get you out of the ice unless it gets you out of the clouds. However, going down 2000’ may get you to a layer of air that’s +4°C where it’s too warm for icing.

It's all dependent on what position the Fetzer valve is in.
You remember from your basic systems training the valve
that's downstream of the bypass line, RIGHT? So of course
a higher setting will get you less dings on your aural's.
If you are getting too many false icing alerts, any mechanic
worth his salt can remedy the valve problem with ball bearings
and a small hammer....... http://youtu.be/4prqDn7QS8I

Latest resources

Back