• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I will Never Fly Spirit Airlines....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It appears the sick gentleman in question drove from Tampa to New York City to talk about this on Fox News' Fox and Friends show this morning. I'm wondering how he can be prohibited by his doctor to fly on a three hour flight, yet can manage a roughly 1500 mile car trip to be on a news show? My gut tells me something isn't adding up with this story.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/0...pport-after-denial-refund-by-spirit-airlines/

Didn't they send him a letter with a one word response? "NO" was the reply he got back. The guy is already upset and they send him a letter like that? With all the goofy sales and things they do, it makes me wonder if a group of teenagers aren't running the place.

All above comments are true in there respect, but this case is just a symptom of the Wal-Mart mentality the public has demanded.. But would'nt it be nice if prices were on par with the costs so Airlines made money and airline travel was more like it use to be..

But the rose colored glasses were broken along time ago.. I always buy insurance when I purchase tickets..

Just issued a memo to my travel department. My company WILL NOT purchase travel on Spirit Air now or anytime in the future. If you can't see the PROBLEM, then you are a bigger DU$HBAG then most. 10 million veterans and their families and friends think differently of this piss poor decision....

I'm waiting for a real company to step up to the plate and offer the family free travel. Can you say Southwest ???

As a Vietnam and GW1 vet......

<YAWN>

Last edited:
I don't think that veterans are some sort of "super citizen" that somehow deserve different treatment than any other citizen in a situation like this.

The correct way to play this would have been to refund the ticket and quietly announce a policy that terminally ill passengers may receive a refund, given suitable documentation.

As it is, Spirit bought themselves more bad will than they could imagine.

Right or wrong, their CEO is a first-class fool for playing this the way he did. If they had given this guy a refund quietly when he first asked, no one would have known a thing about it.

It's the cowardly bureaucrat that always hides behind "policy" rather than recognizing that once in a while you have to be a human being.

I would wager that this is one of the smartest business decisions that Spirit ever could have made. A few hundred veterans may not fly on Spirit again, but thousands upon thousands of people who had never even heard of Spirit before this week heard the news reports, and instead of saying "how horrible what they did to that veteran," they said "wait, there's an airline that offers even cheaper tickets to Fort Lauderdale? Sign me up!"

Latest resources

Back