I Need Help You Guys!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotChapin

I need some advice from you experienced guys who might have been through this already. I am a young pilot with a wife and a baby on the way and no current full time job. I've only done a few contract flights in a Lear Jet.
I have a couple of options but I am not sure which one would be the best.
Like many of you my fellow pilots I am not seeking a job to fly a new shinny jet for peanuts, altough like many of you I am working on getting my 1000 turbine PIC. My wife is currently working making over 40K a year, but the baby is due in december so she is going to stop working in october which mean I have to take full income responsability. But as many of you know 2500TT pilots arent to lucky at making enough money to support the family. Anyways, I have a couple of offers

#1 Stay in the DFW area and Fly freight in an Aerostar on weekdays, and fly some contract in a Lear on the weekends for $300 per day. But as many of you know contract flying is not a sure thing, I might fly on a weekend and i might not. There is a small possibility of full time employment with the contract deal but as always they promise and they usually dont come through.

#2 Relocate to Mobile AL, fly captain in citation 1 for 28K a year and a 2 year training contract. Insurance and all. This is for a 135 ops.

#3 Accept a job with PINNACLE AIR SERVICES in springdale arkansa in the right seat of a Lear 31 making 35K a year, good benefits, relocate to NW arkansa. But I have a couple of friends that got fired from there and I've heard that they have a 100% turn over.

Hey guys any input is greatly appreciated, I really dont know what to do. Like I said many of you guys have already been through a dilema like this. So I figured I get some advice as to what I should do. Thanks you guys

Last edited:
You can do alot better than pinnacle. Turnover is at 200% and they'll run you in the ground. They are contract happy around there. And definitely not run very well. You would be setting yourself up for alot of mental anguish. Way too many jobs out there.

I would make the move to South California or even better South Florida. You should be able to find a job as an FO making 40k working for a Learjet operator. I would check with Personal Jet. I know they have recently taken on some new Jets, Lear 60 and Hawker 800s. They used to be strictly Lear 35 and 55, but are opening the gates, with talk of a G3 and G4 on the way. So they should have room for someone in the Lear 35 and 55s. Sounds a lot better than having to move to AR if you ask me. There are probably 20 places that you could fly charter in a jet in South Florida. I don't know much about SoCal, but I do know it cost a lot to make ends meet out there. Good Luck, and let me know if I can help.
Duder
PS Don't take the 28k a year job, and don't take a job you know is a bad place to work. There are so many more options, than having to put your family thru that.

3 - no way. your friends have told you all you need to know.

2- no way. 2 yr contract....is the job SO bad they need that?

I would stay put. Stay in a busy area like DFW. BE WHERE THE JOBS ARE (say it 10X) or where its easy to commute out of.

and...no...I cannot imagine supporting a family on any of those wages..so maybe the wifey goes back to work until you get a full time decent gig. Keep hustling and be avaliable and know your stuff...many full time gigs come out of contract work. Get qualified as a Lear PIC ASAP. I cant imagine a lear PIC with a 1/2 a brain in his head makes less than 60K/yr. Now you're feeding the family somewhat...

..but then again I have been told here (douchebaginfo.com) many times before -- that its very possible to raise a family of 10 very comfortably on 450 bucks a month....so nevermind my reality check. I just live like a king I guess (running water, indoor plumbing)

:rolleyes: ....anyways....IMHO....

- dont work for 28K/yr on some contract
- dont haul your family to the boonies for some $hit job. they will hate you.
- dont go someplace you KNOW is terrible.

Best of Luck!

PS** -- congrats on the baby...you're in for a treat...nothing better than coming home to a cute kid no matter how $htty your trip was...and yes, most of your sleep will now be had on the road!!

Last edited:
Call Jetcorp (Spirit of St Louis). They fly lears and seem to be looking for fo again. They are a good place to build quality time and pay the bills at the same time.

I would steer clear of Pinnacle. Ran in to a pair of these guys last week on the road and they both seemed like the type who could ONLY work at a place like that... Charming personalities ... :rolleyes:

28K per year seems pretty low, even for a Citation captain. The place in Arkansas has been discussed on here before, it doesn't sound too good (plus, you would have to live in Arkansas). I would stay in Dallas, fly the Aerostar and do the contract work in the LJ, and get busy making contacts for something better in Dallas.

First of all, good luck to you.

I echo the sentiments on Pinnache-al. I have first hand knowledge of what an a$$hole the DO is. PM me if you want the dirty details. Do not go there. I know of a place in FL that may be looking for a lear FO, it is okay, not the best but a definate improvement over AR. I was going to suggest Jetcorp out of SUS also before I even saw the other reply. St. Louis is a decent place to live, and I have heard mostly positive things about them. Be prepared to work though, I heard they will keep you busy. However, they will compensate you accordingly from what I understand.

Yeah, 28K a year for a citation captain did seem kinda low....and Pinnacle Air is definitly a place I wasnt to happy of going to. I've been looking for some places in florida, as a matter of fact I just got a call from a company in Orlando, but the chief pilot said that eventhough I am typed in the lear the insurance might need me to get differences training for the lear 55. I also got a call from JetCorp about a week ago, the CP said he was going to call me back but havent heard from him yet. I know Dallas is a land of opportunity but it seems like every company that I've talked to wants time in type or a type in the airplane. I think buying a coupld of types might be kinda pricey.

There is a lot of hiring going on so you don't need to take just anything. Relocation is expensive and stressful so don't do it unless you know you've got a good job. Fly the Aerostar- you will be glad later to have the multi PIC (Wyvern requirements.) Hustle the Lear flights on the weekend, and keep sending out resumes. In this people will give you as much crap as you will take which explains the crummy operations out there. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back