• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I lost a friend today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I met him on this board a couple of weeks ago. We exchanged many e-mails and phone calls. He seemed like a real nice guy. I did what I could to help him get an interview with my company. I met him in person when he interviewed. He made a good impression and I liked him. I got and e-mail on 12/2 at 10:14 from him. He wanted to wish me happy holidays and just to say hello. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I found out today that he was accepted into the new hire class for January.
I wish the class had been for December.

Flyby - time heals all wounds.

My wife and I attended a former members funeral. I gave my first set of wings to his mom to pin on his suit when they buried him. I always wondered what freefalladdict could of accomplished. I will now add Tetuay to thoughts

Sincerely,
Paul (Falcondriver)

Words cannot express the feelings that one feels for the loss of a comrad and fellow aviator. I did not know him personally, but we all know each other in the same life that we all have chosen. My deepest sympathy goes out to you and his family.
Remember the good times fellow aviator.

Last edited:
I too have lost friends in this business. Be they military or civilian, airplanes have no conscience when it comes to taking our friends and family.

Perhaps the best comfort to us is the amazing resilience we pilots have to these horrible, yet constant reminders of our mortality. We will continue to fly because we must; jobs depend on it, friends need transport, patients must be carried to places not yet determined. Ironically, lives depend on our ability to urge our aircraft to new horizons. Many of us just do it because....well, just because we can.

I remember the day I found out that my friend Kelly Ward died in a 402 accident near CLT. My mind went absolutely numb, my gut slowing transforming into a pit of acid. Was there any consolation that I could find? Not really. Yet I knew he died doing what he loved best. Is that the best I could come up with?

Yep. Didn't help a bit, either. But I moved on, memories still fresh in my mind.

So, we will go out tomorrow and fire up the engines, taxi to the active and pull back on that stick. Feel that air after you are airborne, that living, breathing being that caresses your aircraft as you go about your business. Enjoy it. Revel in it.

Pay homage to those who have fallen before. Fly!

Tetuay was a wonderfully entergetic and happy pilot. I flew with him in Denton and spoke with him on many occasions to help his perpetual quest for knowledge on the interview process. It seems unfair that he is gone. A young man with such a bright future. Prayers are sent out for him and his family.

My prayers to the family.

STARCHECKER WROTE:

"I am sorry for what happened this morning. I knew this man from my many stayovers in HOU with him at Fletchers. He was a wonderful guy and always happy.

Unfortunately i have the deep felt regret of hearing his last transmission this morning while i was leaving on my first leg. I recognized his voice from our many conversations in the recent past. I will never forget his exact words or his ask for approaches help, then nothing but silence and approach repeatedly calling for him.

God Bless him and his family."

What kind of trouble was he in?

I lost two friends of mine almost two years ago when they crashed going into Beaver Island, Michgan. The press was all over the accident, pointing out pilot error. It even made the lead story on the national morning news. The site of the tail of an airplane I had once flown sticking through the trees still sickens me to this day. If I had made a few different choices in the previous months before the accident, I would have been on that trip.
Since then, not a day has gone by that I don't remember how great both of these men were as pilots and friends. I've never lost the grief I carry from then and I don't think I ever will. But just as others have said already, the only thing I wanted to do was get in an airplane again. It seemed the only thing I could do to honor their memories and the best therapy for me. Now before every landing I whisper the intials of one of the guys who was a great friend. He is an angel on my shoulders that will steer me from all troubles ahead.
To those of you who are friends of the individual lost, just remember he is on your shoulders now too! God Bless and take care of yourselves...

I've lost 2 friends in 1 crash, I understand its very tough and depressing. My deepest sympothy to you and the family. My prayers are with you.

Latest resources

Back