Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WestHouston

Something witty
I may have an offer to fly a Piper Matrix (unpressurized Malibu) for a guy when it gets delivered. I'm a flight instructor now with about 500 or so hours. What do you think would be a fair pay rate for a plane like that? I know it's only a single engine piston, but the way I figure it, he's going to have to pay someone over what the plane skill level requires because the equipment is not a "resume booster" per se. If I were required to manage the aircraft as well, I would think salary at $40k would not be out of the question. I am still going to have to find a way to boost my multi time on the side if I were to take this job. Thoughts?

I may have an offer to fly a Piper Matrix (unpressurized Malibu) for a guy when it gets delivered. I'm a flight instructor now with about 500 or so hours. What do you think would be a fair pay rate for a plane like that? I know it's only a single engine piston, but the way I figure it, he's going to have to pay someone over what the plane skill level requires because the equipment is not a "resume booster" per se. If I were required to manage the aircraft as well, I would think salary at $40k would not be out of the question. I am still going to have to find a way to boost my multi time on the side if I were to take this job. Thoughts?

I know a guy that manages the turbine version and last time we had beers I think he said he was in the 60's range. Don't sell yourself short-It depends on the situation..Is he going to fly once a week or everyday? Overnights...how is your life going to be??
I know folks that fly a baron and are totally satisfied. It just depends on which variable you are chasing... Money, Aircraft or Quality of life..

I know a guy that manages the turbine version and last time we had beers I think he said he was in the 60's range. Don't sell yourself short-It depends on the situation..Is he going to fly once a week or everyday? Overnights...how is your life going to be??
I know folks that fly a baron and are totally satisfied. It just depends on which variable you are chasing... Money, Aircraft or Quality of life..

Yeah I know a lot depends on the situation. He wants it to fly to and from his ranch about an hour away as well as vacation/business. For me, QOL is the most important, then money, then plane. I'd fly a 152 if the QOL and pay was good. ;)

I would put a number in your head but do not disclose. Go in and start negotiating for everything. Pay, Bennies, days off, etc.. Let him start off with the first number and go from there. Are you going to meet the insurance requirements?

sounds like a good gig if the guy is cool... remember its hard to ask for more later. get as much as you can NOW. and nothing last for ever... there are some guys that used to fly 777's that would love a gig like what you got.

I would put a number in your head but do not disclose. Go in and start negotiating for everything. Pay, Bennies, days off, etc.. Let him start off with the first number and go from there. Are you going to meet the insurance requirements?

I believe insurance requires 500tt with 50 glass and they'd like 100 complex. I've got the total time and I'm pretty close on the last two. This job is still one of those "several months out" jobs so I'm not holding my breath until I'm cranking it up. Thanks for the advice though, that helps.

While it is unusual that USAirways magazine is good for anything other than to shore up the worn out seat cushions on the Dash, there was an article about salary negotiation I ran across last February that I found somewhat enlightning. It is written for a woman looking for a job, but the advice it gives about negotiating pay is probably universal. Maybe it is worth a look.

http://usairwaysmag.com/2008_02/save_career.php

salary

I was flying the malibu with the PT6 conversion for a small company. No overnights, fly maybe 10 hours a month salary 40,000 plus all expenses food , rental car etc. They also paid what ever my health insurance bill was. Not on call status. Was a pretty good gig while it lasted. I am surprised your insurance mins all so low. The open policy we had was 4,000tt 1,000 complex, 500 turbine and Flight safety i would go no less than 45,000. but it depends on where you live and how much your going to fly and if you have to manage the aircraft. Hope this helps

How much experience do you have managing an airplane? This would be the first question I ask as an owner. While everyone has to start out with their first, you also lack the experience ( 500Hrs TT ) unless you have an aviation management background.

Be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot.

I remember an old saying that applies to many pilots and management....
Don't let the monkeys run the zoo......

That being said, if you take on the task, start out a little low and allow for a performance raise or at least a performance review. 30-40,000 is not unreasonable

Latest resources

Back