Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many more Trannies will Southwest need?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B-J-J Fighter

Royce Gracie in Action
When they merge the certificates and the contracts about how many more pilots will southwest need? I know the work/duty/rest/days off/ etc part of the contracts are different.

The projections is for 200 new hires in the 2011/1st half. These are being added for non-merger reasons.

Post merger, speculation has ranged from 200-1000 pilots....all depends on the optimization of the routes, aircraft types and outside factors (US growth, oil price, Middle East, and a zillion other factors).

The projections is for 200 new hires in the 2011/1st half. These are being added for non-merger reasons.

I'm confused. I thought these new hires were from the SWA pool due to the deliveries for AAI being consolidated into the overall pool. Is there SWA growth outside of this to support this hiring?

HRDiva

I'm confused. I thought these new hires were from the SWA pool due to the deliveries for AAI being consolidated into the overall pool. Is there SWA growth outside of this to support this hiring?

HRDiva

NO.

all growth is due to merger. GK said the airline would be zero growth thru 2012 w/o the aai merger. fwiw

NO.

all growth is due to merger. GK said the airline would be zero growth thru 2012 w/o the aai merger. fwiw

How does Southwest hiring in 2011 have anything to do with a merger that hasn't even taken place? We are not getting any more jets than were planned. We are not taking any routes from airtran so how are those 200 pilots being accounted for because of the merger?

GK did say that we would probably not expand the fleet in the near future but depending on how the merger plays out there "MAY" be growth.

I believe this is just a give the poor Southwest pilots a little hope when all the facts show otherwise.

Just the simple numbers show that when the two carries merge there will be an excess of pilots. Southwest has around 10.5 pilots per airplane while Airtran has a little over 12 pilots per airplane so when the combined carries merge and the overlap is taken out there should be even fewer airplanes needed.

Unless they give it in writing that there will be expansion then take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Once the acquisition takes place we will be short pilots. We are going to have to train all of them. I have heard some high numbers but nothing official yet.

Once the acquisition takes place we will be short pilots. We are going to have to train all of them. I have heard some high numbers but nothing official yet.

Train all of who? AirTran guys? Indoctrination info will likely be sent out in the form of bulletins and manuals.

Pulling people off the line to train costs mucho dinero. If Delta didn't throw all the NWA folks in training I highly doubt SWA will spend money on all that training when it's not necessary.

The 200 pilots for '11 are not associated with the acquisition. Totally separate. Mostly due to additional week of vacation for 6th yr FOs and normal attrition of pilots over the past 2.5 yrs (about 25 pilots on average come off the line for medical each yr I have heard...some return, some don't)

180 persons approximately in the current hiring pool...expect some to fall out for various reasons (remaining at their current employer, military committments, etc.)....these folks will be the source for the new hires initially for '11.

Interviews will begin in 11/1Q or 2nd to fill remaining requirements.

Growth for the combining of airlines are projected to generate more new hires, estimates are varied from 200-1000 as stated previously....all depends on additional airplane growth.

10.5 ratio of pilots to airplane

Hope that clears things up....again, not official but a WAG.

The 200 pilots for '11 are not associated with the acquisition. Totally separate. Mostly due to additional week of vacation for 6th yr FOs and normal attrition of pilots over the past 2.5 yrs (about 25 pilots on average come off the line for medical each yr I have heard...some return, some don't)

180 persons approximately in the current hiring pool...expect some to fall out for various reasons (remaining at their current employer, military committments, etc.)....these folks will be the source for the new hires initially for '11.

Interviews will begin in 11/1Q or 2nd to fill remaining requirements.

Growth for the combining of airlines are projected to generate more new hires, estimates are varied from 200-1000 as stated previously....all depends on additional airplane growth.

10.5 ratio of pilots to airplane

Hope that clears things up....again, not official but a WAG.

Hey Chase,

Any idea when they'll open up the application again?

Latest resources

Back