Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How fast do you fly an instrument appch?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly, stability is the key. In a 172 on a typical day (10-15kt winds), screaming down the approach at 120kts is not stable, especialy in IMC. You need to consider Va if you are in turbulent conditions and also any low-level temperature inversions. Otherwise, do as you please or what mr. ATC says.

Just for FYI

The army trains instruments They train all their pilots in helicopters. All the training standards are that you fly the approach at 90 KIAS or more.

C-12 approaches

Interesting. What about in the C-12s?

The Army trains great instrument pilots. My first instrument student was an ex-Army Huey rotorhead who wanted to add instrument privileges to his Private Airplane rating. Did a great job flying. I probably gave him more dual than he needed, because I was new and wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
Nastygram

erjdriver said:
CHQ pilots: 250 kts to the marker, then speedbrakes, gear, flaps9...land at Vref, take the 1st exit and get to the gate before Eagle, which landed 5 minutes prior.

Only kids play with toys and race them to gates. If that's really a reflection of your philosophy and not a joke, I'll keep it mind and buy my tickets on Eagle.

Cowboys should ride horses and stay out of airliners.

Hi!

To surplus one:

I was with TSA flying J41s. Sometimes ATC would ask us to maintain 250, or 220, or 200 kts. to the marker for traffic spacing, and after you've flown a lot of these types of approaches, it is easy to do, and not an unusual or dangerous manuever.

Cliff
GB,WI

atpcliff said:
Hi!

To surplus one:

I was with TSA flying J41s. Sometimes ATC would ask us to maintain 250, or 220, or 200 kts. to the marker for traffic spacing, and after you've flown a lot of these types of approaches, it is easy to do, and not an unusual or dangerous manuever.

Cliff
GB,WI

Cliff,

Its not the IAS that bothers me, its the unstabilised apch, the make the first turn wear out the brakes syndrome and the race to the gate concept. In my little book if I need speed brakes and reconfiguration inside the marker I've mismanaged the approach.

Every aircraft type has an appropriate speed and configuration for the approach and a lot of lattitude about what you do outside the marker. I have no problem with that part of it.

BTW I know what ATC does and tries to do. The moral for that is simple, they fly the tower and I fly the airplane. I don't give controllers control of my airplane or my judgement. That's why I never accepted LASHO. If they want to be thrilled they can bungee jump off the tower.

I just want to get there, keep the people in the back comfortable (without any thrills on final), keep my flight attendants on their feet and not hanging on while I taxi, go home when its done and live to grow old.

Never been in a J41. How do you like it? Nice machine or typically British?

Last edited:
For the C-12's

Generally 120 kias or vref + 10, whichever is higher.

Latest resources

Back