How do I get started on AF res/Guard?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

outofAAjob

I just started looking at joining the guard or reserves and don't know very much. Can anyone suggest any websites that are good sources of info for pilot jobs in either?
How does one find out about what aircraft are based where? I live in ATL but am willing to go to other locations in the country.
Thanks

Search for anything posted by airgator, vandal, or sonic cruzer. You can search for my name as well. However, in all honesty, I asked more questions than I answered. That might work to your advantage if you have the same questions. If your searches don't work out too well, PM me and I'll help you out where I can.

Skyward80

baseops.net has a table of job listings. Some are pretty old, but theres a lot of unit phone numbers.

I forgot, the link to the table is really small. its in the upper right hand corner.

My two cents

First, one question. How old are you??

You've already gotten some great advice. The only thing I would contribute is that you compile a list of every Guard and Reserve unit out there. Contact every one of them. Certainly have your preferences, but you never know which unit will need someone yesterday. For instance, we had a guy drop out of OTS last year. He was replaced as quickly as the system allows because we have several people interviewed and ready to go.

One other thing. Pardon me if I step on your toes, but do you want to serve your country and quite possibly get shot at?? The Reserve Forces are great furlough protection, true. It is much much, much more than a job, though. There's a pretty gosh-darn good chance you'll spend a significant amount of time in the desert. You'll quite possibly miss birthdays, holidays, and other events.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Our nation's Reserve Forces are a top-notch organization. You will work with true professionals, make life-long friends, and serve your country.

One big difference you'll notice between this and the airline world is the camaraderie in a squadron. The airline is a job. True, you make some friends there but it is still just a job. Your unit is a brotherhood. I don't think any of our Reservists/airline pilots would disagree with me.

By the way, that is a magnificent avatar!!

Last edited:
I HIGHLY suggest you buy the book "Flying in the Guard & Reserve" by Rob Black. It is worth every cent.

Go to www.ang.af.mil and surf the unit websites. Some sites have UPT info posted and who to contact. Others that don't will at least have the e-mail address of the recruiter for the unit. Contact them and ask about UPT opportunities and who you need to talk to. Get a good resume together and as many letters of reccomendation that you can get. Military sources are the best if you can get them and military aviators are even better.
This is how I got my slot.
Keep in mind some units are hiring for slots two or three years down the road. You most likely won't be whisked away to UPT. I sent my resume to my unit in '99 and am just now finishing my co-pilot upgrade in the 135.
Best of luck!

Okay, spare me, please. Everytime someone with airline credentials in their profile posts something about ANG or reserve flying, it is inevitable someone will say this. Most military guys I know would never have considered joining if they didn't have the opportunity to fly a hot jet, chopper, or a big tanker. "Serving your country" had nothing to do with it. Well, that's just my ignorant civilian opinion.

Pardon me if I step on your toes, but do you want to serve your country and quite possibly get shot at?? The Reserve Forces are great furlough protection, true. It is much much, much more than a job, though. There's a pretty gosh-darn good chance you'll spend a significant amount of time in the desert. You'll quite possibly miss birthdays, holidays, and other events.

Gross, uninformed generalization

I spent five years behind a radar scope before I decided to fly. I've spent over six months supporting the now happily defunkt Operation Southern Watch and 3 months in Bogota, Colombia supporting counter-drug ops, plus countless trips away from home for different training/operational trips. 250 days away from home during the first year of my first operational assignment alone. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years of 99/2000 spent in lovely Riyadh, KSA. All before I bacame a pilot.
How many layovers have you spent in a tent? How many meals served on a paper plate with a spork? How 'bout a beer after a hard days work? Sorry, no freedom like that for the G.I. in Saudi or Kuwait.
I'm not saying that there aren't people in uniform like you've described, because I've met a couple. But, the VAST majority have a sincere desire to serve. Would you eat **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** on a hilltop in Kuwait if you didn't?
Please be more careful with your remarks!

Latest resources

Back