Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon Taking Over Routes For Great Lakes In Denver???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LT. Dangle

Reno's Finest
I heard a rumor through a buddy that Frontier wants Horizon to bring Dash 8-200's over to Denver and take over the flying that Great Lakes currently is doing. Anybody else heard this rumor? It seems to make pretty good sense.

Sounds like a bogus rumor to me. I have been employed by Horizon since early 2000 and all but one rumor that has come true has been a bad one. I wish your's would come true, but I have my doubts. The latest one around here is that they are going to replace 20 200's with 12 400's. It comes from a friend of mine that heard if from the mouth of the Director of Flight Operations. So in other words, it is has a very strong chance of becoming reality. I look at it this way. Frontier is not that big of a carrier so the current handful of RJs out in DEN is capable of handling the load. If they were to send the 200s out there what would they do with the jets? I guess one could say that the 200s would serve different markets than the RJs, but it just sounds too good to be true. If you have worked here any amount of time you become conditioned to the fact that this company has an aversion to growth. They are completely content serving this small corner of the US which is fine until someone comes in and steamrolls us. As one great CEO once said, "If your company is not growing, it is dying."

Also, I seriously doubt Horizon could serve the markets that Great Lakes does for the same amount of money. Even though the service would be better, money talks and considering what Lakes pays their crews Horizon couldn't compete in the minds of corporate beancounters.

Also unless there is something that I don't know, How would the Horizon 200's operate into the Mountains without a passenger Oxygen system? From what I could tell, the 200's and 400's don't have passenger oxygen systems and Colorado has lots of MEA's above 14,000'. Horizon would have to go out and buy more aircraft that are properly configured, or retrofit their current aircraft. This does not make alot of sence to me.

As far as taking over GLA routes, which one do you want? Other than Telluride, and Amarillo, their isn't much worth taking over. If GLA was to get pulled out of them, you can almost guarentee that United is going to put in an Express carrier. They allready have rights to compete against GLA in them. Also the DOT doesn't care what Frontier has to say on who operates into their EAS cities. Those are awarded to GLA, and were recently renewed for 2 more years.

Just my .02

The Q200s are pressurized with a service ceiling of FL250. Where's the problem? No retrofit required.

If you loose pressurization, you have to be able to provide passengers oxygen when you are not able to maintain a cabin altitude below 14,000'

Singlecoil said:
...for 10% of the occupants, which they do with 2 portable bottles with 4 masks for 37 pax.
Bingo...I mean flying the Dash in DEN isn't anything new...MESA has done it twice now.....

That makes sence with the 10% that is always required when operating in the flight levels. How do you get around the requirement for all passengers when unable to desend below 15,000. Also, do the MESA birds have an Oxygen system, or do they use the same procedure?

Mesa UAX Dash Oxy

The Mesa UAX Dash have a "drop-down" pax ox system. The Mesa AWX Dash's do not.

Regarding the orginal thread: I have wondered why Frontier doesn't provide service to the mountian cities in their own backyard.

Latest resources

Back