Horizon moving SOC to Seattle...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propsarebest

I have it GOOD authority that Horizon is going to be moving ALL of its SOC functions to the Alaska flight ops center.

It sounds like QX is going to lease out the hangar here in PDX to a third party.

This effectively ends over 25 years of Horizon having some sort of presence here in the PDX area.

:(

QX moving in with its big brother.

Horizon Air announced two major projects today to support the current initiative to reduce duplication between the regional carrier and Alaska Airlines: relocating Horizon’s System Operations Control from Portland to Seattle and integrating some of the carrier’s maintenance support functions into Alaska’s.

Sounds like everything is falling in place for the move...

"Horizon Air reached a TA on August 27, 2010 for a new collective bargaining
agreement in light of the AAG's recent decision to move QX SOC to SEA on with only one full day of negotiations. Ratification ballots will be out September 7th, 2010 and ballots will be counted October 4th, 2010."

It sounds like QX is going to lease out the hangar here in PDX to a third party.

:(

I have several friends at Horizon and no one mentioned leasing the hangar. The hangar will still be used for light maintenance. Heavy checks (C & D) have been outsourced just like their big brother Alaska does. (100 mechanics lost their jobs.)

The current SOC will be used for emergency back up for both QX and AS.

Alaska (AS) had a shake up a few years ago and the AAG cleaned house. It's QX's turn. The board of directors is cleaning out all the closets. It's not pretty.

The sad thing for QX SOC is they have to move to SEA where the cost of living is 15% higher than PDX with no cost of living increase....AND have to share a room with AS SOC who's starting pay is pretty much where QX tops out. That will be a hard pill for the QX DX'ers to swallow.

Not to mention yanking their kids out of school in the middle of a school year and leaving their peers behind. Selling their property in this crappy economy and expecting spouses to find work when the unemployment rate is the highest it has been in decades. Smart work AAG!

More to follow....

I read on a different thread that the dx office went from 21 to 12. Does anyone know the hire date of the last person furloughed? I remember graduating from dx school and Horizon was on the top of my list. I'm curious if I’d still have a job had I got hired by them.

This makes me wonder if they're going to be like AA: Mainline in the huge, cavernous hangar-like room, and then Eagle, in the closet-like floor below.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SOC co-location initiative canceled due to lack of viable facility[/FONT]

After five months of extensive research and facility scouting, the planned co-location of Horizon Air's and Alaska Airlines' separate System Operations Control (SOC) teams in Seattle has been canceled.

Latest resources

Back