Hold short of parallel taxiway!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

districtpilot

Boy I tell ya, I have been having what seems like a bad month with ATC! Flying in AVL the other day after landing the tower says hold short of the parallel taxiway. So I clear the runway all parts of the airplane just barely over the hold line he then yells at me saying he told me to hold short of the taxiway. Of course I reply I needed to clear the runway. Then more recently flying into RDU a similiar situation, after landing tower has me hold short of the parallel. This time I say holding short of taxiway but not totally clear of the runway. He very sarcastically says He can see that. I'm thinking next time I get that kind of instruction maybe I will say roger holding short of taxiway "A" and also clearing runway 23R at A4 over the hold line. If anyone has any guidance or suggestions I would certainly appreciate it.

What's the confusion? From the AIM:

4-3-20. Exiting the Runway After Landing
b. Taxi clear of the runway unless otherwise directed by ATC. In the absence of ATC instructions the pilot is expected to taxi clear of the landing runway by clearing the hold position marking...​

You were "otherwise directed by ATC" to stay clear of the taxiway ahead.

CA1900 said:
What's the confusion? From the AIM:

You were "otherwise directed by ATC" to stay clear of the taxiway ahead.

Yeah baby, I agree with that one. My grumpy hat can work both ways. If a controller is being a dick, then tell him, loud & clear on the frequency, "OK, holding short of the parallel, I'm not sure if I can completely clear the runway." Then listen to him scramble.

Any facility worth a damn I've ever seen has it documented what aircraft can hold between close parallel runways or short of the parallel taxiway and still clear the runway.

Metro752 said:
contact the FSDO and bust some ATCers

Doesn't really do much good. FSDO is in the business of busting pilots for being lunchboxes......Not controllers.

Yeah, you're better off calling the ATM at the facility you were dealing with, he/she will have a better grip on the situation.

I think this is the only time you'll hear me say this...Boy I'm happy I fly here at Daytona Beach...

He said it sarcasticly because he knew you were sitting there holding short, and probably didn't need you to congest his frequency by telling him something he already knew. At phoenix if you call to say your ready to go the tower it likely to give you an answer along the lines of "No Sh!t". The other time he got mad cause you didn't hold short of the taxiway.

seems pretty straight forward to me.

Morettis said:
He said it sarcasticly because he knew you were sitting there holding short, and probably didn't need you to congest his frequency by telling him something he already knew. At phoenix if you call to say your ready to go the tower it likely to give you an answer along the lines of "No Sh!t". The other time he got mad cause you didn't hold short of the taxiway.

seems pretty straight forward to me.
Your suppose to read back all " hold short " instructions.:rolleyes: Advise you have information tango. :)

HS

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back