Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
I'm applying to the U.S. Naval Academy and my chances of getting in are looking very bright. One problem: I have high blood pressure, around 145 over 95. I never realized I had this until I did the DoDMERB medical. Only 4 % percent of people my age have it, and once you get it, it's permanent. Can't cure it, can only control it. The USNA Catalog says that BP of 140/90 or higher is disqualifying. So, I'm refining my diet heavily to cut out sodium and salt and to include a whole lot more fruits and veggies. I already swim an hour and a half every day, but apparently that's not enough. I'm starting a cross-training program. I'm 6'2" and 230 pounds, a little overweight, so I'm gonna try to lose 20 pounds. My question is, if all this fails, am I screwed? Are there waivers? Can I take medication for it? What are my options? This is causing me a great deal of distress and worry, so any help and insight would be very welcome. Thank-you.

I am sorry that I have no info about your specific condition. But I thought I would share my story briefy because it might give you hope.

I failed to meet the pilot vision standards in my pre-commissioning physical. I was kinda' vocal, and got a second eye exam while I was on my senior midshipman cruise, and passed within the vision standards.

I then went on to fail the initial DODMERB (sp?) vision test, again missing pliot vision standards, but just by a line or two. The doc was actually very nice, and after some pleading and let me come in the next day, where I passed the exam.

Point is never give up until you ultimately have to. Keep pushing for another test, and try looking up your condition and things that you can do to help (or at least lower your BP for the med test).

Good luck!

My story...

The biggest thing about blood pressure is just to relax. I had high blood pressure all 4 years at the Academy and I got into pilot training bc of some cool ass technicians who were doing my FC1. At my initial physical at the beginning of pilot training, my blood pressure was 139/89 and the doc didn't say a thing. I know a few people who are here right now that are on medicine for high BP and they are still flying. The trick here is to not let them take your blood pressure with a machine...have the technician do it manually. The machine always reads high. A low sodium diet is good but nothing beats working out. If you can't get it down, request a waiver. Once you get in, keep your blood pressure high. You may die sooner in the long run, but it's good for pulling Gs.

I'm having trouble with my medical stuff too. They said my EKG is boarderline (the graphs, but everything else says its fine) and I might have to go down to Brooks for 3-4 days TDY.

I hate flight docs :\

I agree that they should always take it manually, not with a machine. My standing BP was high for my FC1. They made me go through the whole physical and then come back for a retest in the afternoon when they knew I'd passed everything else. I was sweating bullets! They took it with the machine and it was high again. Then they waited 5 minutes and took it manually and it was like 125/75.

Obviously you need to stay in shape and eat a low sodium diet. There are some supplements that can help lower your BP. I take potassium in addition to a multivitamin. Some researchers say extra potassium helps balance out the sodium. Coenzyme Q10 also helps, but it's really expensive.

Latest resources

Back