Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey, YIP, still forecasting the boom of 2007?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the big boyz' playground ('Da Majors Forum)

http://www.time.com/time/nation/art...1039644,00.html

W E B E X C L U S I V E
Southwest Crosses Into the Gray
The airline will support a waiver to a rule forcing all pilots to retire at age 60

By SALLY B. DONNELLY AND ERIC ROSTON

Saturday, Mar. 19, 2005
var s_prop14 = 'non-subscriber'; var s_prop15 = 'full';
For more than four decades the Federal Aviation Administration has forced airline pilots to retire at age 60. The so-called "Age 60 rule" was adopted with virtually no medical data to support it then, and, critics say, it remains in place today despite studies that show that older fliers can still be capable pilots. The experience of major carriers outside the U.S. confirms that qualified pilots over age 59 continue to fly safely, and the FAA has not identified a single airliner accident in the U.S. attributable to the age of a pilot. But airlines have continued to support the rule, in part, critics charge, in order to get their most highly-paid employees off their books early. The FAA stands by arguments made during the 1959 rulemaking process that people lose critical cognitive and motor skills as they age. The powerful Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) has also argued to keep the rule in order, some say, to keep its younger members happy. The FAA and Congress have been unwilling to question the status quo.

But the Age 60 rule may soon become a relic of the past. Last week a group of twelve pilots asked the Supreme Court to review their challenge of the Age 60 regulation in which they ask for waivers to the rule. On Capitol Hill, influential Congressman John Mica, a Florida Republican who heads the House aviation subcommittee, says he will hold hearings on the topic. Even the ALPA is considering reviewing its stance.

Now the big guns are coming out. Next week, TIME has learned, Southwest Airlines will file a friend of the court brief in support of the pilots' challenge. For Southwest, one of the nation's biggest airlines and one which, remarkably, has never had a fatal accident in its thirty years of flying, to be the first major airline to take such a decisive step puts real momentum behind the move to throw out the Age 60 rule. "Times are changing," says Southwest spokesman Linda Rutherford. "We are losing some really good pilots."

Supporters of changing the rule point out that airline pilots are some of the most closely monitored people in the world: they receive two physical examinations, two to three 'check' rides where their pilots skills must meet FAA standards and at least one recurring training session ground school per year. On top of that, pilots are required to watch each other and report if there are problems that could affect safety in any way. "If rigid enforcement of the age 60 rule ever served any valid purpose—a doubtful proposition at best—it certainly outlived its usefulness long ago," says Tony Bothwell, the attorney representing the pilots' challenge. With Southwest on board, passengers may start to see some of that gray hair sitting up front—and not just in First Class.

Yea that could slow it down a bit, but not by more than 11.6%. I would think it have a bigger effect on recalls.

My upgrade just went up a few years. Thanks granddad.

I wonder if any of this will slow down the HUGE 2007 HIRING BOOM we keep hearing about???!!!??? :rolleyes:

Merrill pegs airline losses at $5 billion
2005 forecast widens as crude oil price assumption rises

United Airlines Posts Wider 4Q Loss
United Airlines said Friday that its loss widened in the fourth quarter to $819 million from $630 million a year ago.

American Airlines May Need More Worker Concessions Due to Cash Crunch

US airlines face billions in extra fuel costs

Northwest Reverses Plan for Growth, Says Domestic Capacity Will Be Flat for 2005

Delta Sees Big 2005 Loss

Now I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I could be all wrong (I am merely a college graduate (Read: Wasted 4 years of precious flying time studying)) but these recent articles don't seem to be screaming "Quit your day job and become an Airline Pilot, the Hiring Boom is almost here!" :confused:

I guess the only question left to ask is if PilotYIP likes his Crow baked, broiled, fried or grilled? :p

the number 7

DA-20 capt they said the same things back in 1993/94. I have never seen a year ending in 7 that did not have great hiring stats. But then again there is a first time for anything.

Last edited:
Hiring dud

Falcon Capt said:
Is that a glimmer of doubt I see???
Glimmer is too mild. How about glare??

As far as preparing the crow goes, how 'bout BBQed?

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
DA-20 capt they said the same things back in 1993/94. I have never seen a year ending in 7 that did not have great hiring stats. But then again there is a first time for anything.

I can see a metar for YIP tonight:

KYIP 210153Z 27008KT 10SM OVC019 01/M01 A3008 RMK HELL IS FZNG OVR

Latest resources

Back