• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here it comes Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Or is it that noboby should earn more than you?", No its not anything like that, but if you want to swap pay checks that can be arranged. 84 grand, OK thats enough for me to pay off my car, pick up a C-150 for fun flying, max out the 401K, stuff enough away to cover a 6 month furlough/job loss and still pay regular bills.

And what do lawyers, docs or even avtive duty have to do with it?

Govt. involvement, could be a good thing, look at what they pay their own guys, controllers, FAA guys and they don't even have to fly. And think of the work ruled, look at the ones they have.

LearLove,
I hate to hear from some of the fellow regional pilots that Major pilots are overpaid. That attitude normally stems from someone who is new to aviation. What a crock of ----. You should know better than that so I will not go into the details of what an airline pilot is worth. You should have a better opinion of your occupation. Did you know that many of the other "higher" proffesions out there start out at your Captains pay rates. Instead you should be focusing on bringing the industries pay rates up.:rolleyes:

AA Flyer:
"Let's make sure the mainline and eagle pilots stick together on this one, Ole Don would sell us ALL if he could save a buck."

I couldn't agree with you more.

Yep I knew this would back me into a corrner. First I'm far from MGT and nowhere near as big an A$$HOLE COCK SUCKER that BEXFlyrer is.

Listen the industry is drastically changing. Whats the biggest factor you ask, the entrance of low cost carriers and yes SWA is driving it with expansion coupled with less pax due to 911 and the economy. Back in 1991 low cost carriers made up <10% of the pax traffic. Now post 911 its like 45% and climbing. The trunk airlines can't continue the way they have. The way we have, you ask? Yes making a boatload of $$$ in the good years enough to make it thru the bad years (this is historically how all the trunk airlines have survived (except SWA) even pre dereg.)

Well boys in the next "good years" the Trunk guys won't make as much $$$$. Again why you ask? Because of all the JB, SWA. Airtran...ect. Also further hurting the Big guys is the attitude that the public just won't deal with skyhigh ticket prices anymore. We will get some back when the economy picks up but not as much as we used to or need to carry us. And my friends as much as I hate his MGT a$$ Seagull and the rest of the suits realize this. Hence the change, and unfortunatly for us PILOTS not good. Does this mean we all should be like JB or SWA? no again that won't work, we've seen this (metrojet, UAL shuttle). However what we (trunk/major carriers) need to do is continue a vast or larger route system than the low cost boys (same as offering more destination options) but our pax load are lower. Why? you guessed it, more and growing JB and SWA companies taking our pax. So no more MD80 between PHL-AVP, here comes the 50 seat RJ. Where's the prob we have today you ask? Well years ago when the low cost guys came to play and the CRJ came on the scene the Major guys and ALPA failed to see what was happening. They had stars in their eyes and dreams of widebodies for all. But it just isn't so, am I not correct? Its not just us the pilots that need to rethink pay, look at the ramp guys (using U mainline ramp workers here). Come on 60 grand a year to sling bags, sleep, and wave wands. OOPS waving wands and driving a tug is a job for a mechanic, whatever. I think thats the only thing I'll ever agree with Lorenzo on. FA's too, Also gate agents.

Final word: Listen I'd like to see all airline worers, he1l all workers everywhere for that fact get paid and laid with the big bucks, but the way I see it (read again JUST THE WAY I SEE IT)- myself just me so don't call me an A$$ hole, MGT dork, inexperienced "new to aviation" yah whatever Airlinepilot27, or anything else - isn't going to happen, there are just so many people flying any too many seats out there, something like that supply and demand crap we slept thru in college.

Good Day

Here's a novel idea.

Every pilot should get paid as much as they can get, when they can get it, and for as long as they can. They should do so without gloating!

Equally, every pilot should take a pay cut when they have to and for as long as they have to. They should do this without bithcing.

Bulldog

LearLove, I gotta say it bro - you carry a very negative attitude. You are playing right into management's hands by fighting your fellow pilots instead of placing the blame where it lies.

Here's the bulk of the problem in today's industry:

- The Big 5 concentrated on the business traveler, so no wonder... when the economy plunges, the travel demand doesn't necessarily slump as bad as BUSINESS travel demand.

Airlines like SWA, JB, Airtran, and low-fare carriers concentrate on John Q Public in good times AND bad times. Now, John Q Public also wants to travel, however, they just can't afford to pay astronomical fares that the Big Boys charge. It is the entire business model of the Big Wigs that is flawed... is it the labor that runs the show? Naw... it's the management.

You mentioned UAL, and you blame UAL pilots for a lot of what's going on. Sure, their payscales are up there.... BUT:

- UAL management squandered billions of dollars on failed and just downright STUPID business decisions like failed purchase of USAirways at a ridiculously high price. So when that took a dump, they paid additional 50 mil to U. Then, look at the millions of dollars UAL blew on Avolar which never got off the ground. We won't even go into other UAL failed ventures like the stocks... I believe it was UAL management that was responsible for all of the above, so right now, EVERYBODY has to take cuts at UAL to pay for management stupidity.

Easy with the attitude, brah!

Latest resources

Back