• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here is where your ALPA dues dollars are going

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wear my pin on my lapel Freight Dog, not my tie. It's color is platinum and more people can see it there. And yes, I wear it with pride.

What do you wear on your tie, a hula skirt or coconuts?

surplus1 said:
I wear my pin on my lapel Freight Dog, not my tie. It's color is platinum and more people can see it there. And yes, I wear it with pride.

I wear mine with pride. The same reason many people wear the stars and stripes. I also wear my pin so I don't look like a scab.

There are plenty of reasons one could feel shame in wearing a US Flag pin. Some of our gov't policies, actions of our politicians and choices of individuals are down right shameful.

But that is not the full spectrum of the United States.

Neither is it of ALPA. I've taken the time to learn what ALPA is and isn't. How ALPA works for me. Unlike most, I don't have unrealistic expectations of the organization. Like any good professional pilot, I understand limitations.

ALPA enables a PIC to say 'no we won't fly, it is not safe'. The FAA isn't going to fight for your job. Maybe that is taken for granted like so many non tangible benefits of the organization. What was fought hard for and paid with heavily is now taken for granted. Pride can come from the pioneers of this organization that gave blood, lives and thier careers.

Immediately after 9/11 the heads of the airline industry were on a conf call with Mineta. Someone chimed in... Well, looks like jumpseating is gone forever. The ALPA president, stepped in and saved online jumpseating, on the spot. Until CASS, pilots keep saying, "I'd pay $10 dollars to jumpseat offline". If $10 is ok how about $15? $20? is $35 ok to get to work? I wouldn't be surprised if we did pay for offline jumpseating the total amount of all those fees would far exceed the ALPA Presidents salary.

It took a few years afterwards, but I realized after I turned 18 years old, I had inherited a responsibility for my own education and information. Relying on the crewroom and messageboards was simply irresponsible. It's better to ask questions instead of accusations. I also realized that nothing is black and white. ALPA is far from perfect. But it is the only oganization that is concerned about pilots. Nobody else really cares about pilots. That doesn't mean ALPA is going to coddle you and protect you from the reality of the real world. Since ALPA is a political organization, they have done things that don't seem right. Like letting scabs back in or screwing the TWA guys. Whether it is a "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" mantra or just ALPA being jacked up... It is politics.

Finally, the worst pilot out there is the guy 'that just shows up, does his job and goes home." Some guys even boast or brag about this MO. What these pilots do is ride the wake of the pilots plowing a path ahead.

Of Course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Surplus, you and I disagree on many things, but I've got to give you credit for that post. Very well said.

Freight Dog said:
Are you mocking our uniforms, old man?? ;) :D

Why I wouldn't dream of that, young pup. Just reminding you that on some issues you live in lei-lei land.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back