Help! Converting JAA licence to FAA.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On The Fence

Could anyone enlighten me on what is involved in converting my JAA ATPL to an FAA one? Is there a flying test; if so how many hours would I likely need to prepare; costs, etc? How severe is the written test?
Secondly,
I noticed that for a typical major....
I need 500 hours PIC.
Now, I am an FO with 2800 hours and A320 and 757/767 ratings. I thought I would have a pretty good shot at jobs in the USA (I have citizenship already). But since I went through the JAA training and joined a european operator, I have only 150hrs PIC. Loads of SPIC when Captains have given me sectors, but I does that count?
Are there operators who wouldn't have that requirement?
Appreciate your help!!
embarass.gif

OTF,

I have only done the conversion the other way (FAA to JAA), however, knowing what it takes to get a licence here there should not be a lot of trouble. Contact a Flight Standard Districts Office (FSDO) or try www.faa.gov they can probably help. After that, with the time you have you can go to any flight school and they can more than likely help you. Just make sure you have directives from the FAA first.

In the USA, PIC time counting for emplyment is most of the time only the times that you signed for the aircraft as in you are the captain. The sectors that you flew because the captain let you does not count. Also make sure you check wheather the operator wants PIC time or TURBINE PIC. Most of the time, it is the turbine PIC time that counts. I was just hired by a "major" and I have 7000 tot, 2000 pic and 1500 turbine pic, unfortenately, anymore these are typical hours and I am little low on the turbine pic hours. Having said that, you have some good experience flying heavy jets so you do have an edge on many of us others. Look into getting hired by a regional and go from there.

Wishing you luck, I am trying to go eastbound.

I can't comment on the process converting JAA to FAA except that worse case senario you would have to take a written and a check-ride, assuming you meet ATP minimums (which you more than likely do). I would venture to guess that it could be taken care of with paper work and second piototstatic in that you should call a FSDO.

As far as the written goes, very easy. There are several different study guides and/or software available from GLEIM and ASA that can prepare you in a week if you know absolutely nothing (of couse, you know much more than nothing). Bottom line, don't sweat the written if it ends up you have to take it.

DrewBlows said:
I can't comment on the process converting JAA to FAA except that worse case senario you would have to take a written and a check-ride, assuming you meet ATP minimums (which you more than likely do). I would venture to guess that it could be taken care of with paper work and second piototstatic in that you should call a FSDO.

As far as the written goes, very easy. There are several different study guides and/or software available from GLEIM and ASA that can prepare you in a week if you know absolutely nothing (of couse, you know much more than nothing). Bottom line, don't sweat the written if it ends up you have to take it.

Got to agree with the above,

Look up FAR 61 to ensure you meet the aeronautical experiece requirements. Get a first class medical. Take the written test (piece of piss!). Find a flight school (e.g. www.ALLATPS.com) who will knock out the training and checkride in about 2-3 days. Voila!

Compared to FAA/JAR conversion, this will be a walk in the park.

As described above written test and a checkride in a light aircraft is not too expensive or timeconsuming. A bigger expense will be to get your typeratings - if you plan to get them on your FAA ATP.

Great stuff!

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate you taking the time.
I am coming to Houston for a couple of weeks in May, so I will look up a school and FAA office there.

I need to sit just two JAA exams (Air Law and ATC) does anyone know if this can be done here in the US?

mobie said:
I need to sit just two JAA exams (Air Law and ATC) does anyone know if this can be done here in the US?

Flightsafety in Florida??

Pitot Static a couple of questions

Where did you convert your license at? Was it costly? Was it worth it?

I've been thinking of doing that but just am not sure. Any advice?

Thanks

tj

Latest resources

Back