Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
I'm a PP ASEL and am interested in getting a helicopter add-on. Can anyone tell me what's involved in getting it? Will I need to take another written or go on any more cross-countries?

Hi!

I'm not sure of all the details. Another written test is NOT required. I think U can find them at faa.gov.

I do know that not a lot of flying time/experience is required to add-on a helo rating. The biggest problem with an add-on is SAFETY. It is much more technically difficult to physically fly a helo vs. a plane. Most jobs require at least a 1000 helo and/or 1000 turbine helo to get a job. I would definitely fly with an instructor until the instructor said I was 100% safe to fly on my own.

I was more typical, with the fixed-wing add-on.

Cliff
DTW

To obtain a private helicopter add-on rating, what you're really doing is adding an additional catagory and class to your existing private pilot certificate.

As such, some things are required, some are not. You do not have to take another written test, but you do have to meet all the requirements of 61.109(c), which does include cross country flights.

The very least amount of flight time it can be done in is 30 hours, 20 of which must be dual, 10 of which must be solo. I've seen people do it pretty close to those numbers, but only when taking it on full time.

Latest resources

Back