Health Problems???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

I'm looking to get a job as a line tech, but a friend told me that he wouldn't do it because he values his health too much to work around leaded gasoline like that. Is it really a problem? What are your thoughts and advice? Thanks a lot!

Lead

Your friend might have a point. My father worked in the lead business for sixty years and had low levels of lead in his system. Nothing deadly, but potentially harmful. In later years he was monitored regularly, as were his employees.

The amount of lead in avgas is extremely low, however. It may not be the same exposure level as being in the lead business, but it may be something to consider.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lead in the avgas. There are lots of other dangers in aviation that will get to you first. There is probably more danger in the higher levels of radiation that you might receive while in the cockpit at high altitude. For that matter the sorry diet that you will be forced to eat while living on pilot wages will probably do more damage to your health.

Sorry guys I just couldn't resist commenting on this one.

Latest resources

Back