Headsets for turboprops/RJ's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

herb

I looking for some comments on the comfort of a couple headsets I'm comparing.

1. Telex Airman ANR 500
2. Sennheiser HMEC 25-KA ANR

I currently fly the ATR but hope to fly an RJ one day and still be able to use the same headset. Comfort is my #1 concern but I still want a decent amount of noise reduction. The Dave Clarks I use leave me with a pounding headache at the end of long day of flying. The Sennhieser concerns me because the ear cups fit on top of your ear instead of enclosing them. Looks a little uncomfortable. If only there was a good aviation store close by so I could compare.

I've also considered the Telex 850 and the Sennheiser HMEC 45-KA. I don't think those will be quiet enough though. Still, comments on those headsets or additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's a comparison:

Airman ANR 500
$435.00
15 db noise reduction
7 oz
50 hours battery life

HMEC 25-KA ANR
$515.00
31 db noise reduction
15 ANR
16 passive
5.9 oz
30 hours battery life

Telex 850
$423.00
12db noise reduction
4 oz
No batteries required

HMEC 45-KA
$459.00
10 db noise reduction
4.9 oz
80 hours battery life

I've owned both the Telex ANR500 and the Sennheiser HMEC 25KA. For me they were about equally comfortable but the Sennheiser has, in my opinion, vastly superior ANR. I have only used the Sennheiser in the Dojet, but I did use both headsets in the J41 and the Sennheiser was much quieter. The 9V battery did last longer on the Telex than the 2 AA's on the Sennheiser however.

Thanks for the info.
After 8 hours of wearing the HMEC-25 it didn't hurt your ears? If that's the case, I'll probably buy one. It just looks like it just wouldn't set right on your ears.

Headsets

Herb,

You can receive a nice discount on the Sennheisers if you are an ALPA member and order them through the company website.

-Titan

I used to use the Telex ANR 500. I hated that **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed piece of crap. That headset was a royal pain-in-the-ass for several reasons, most of them having to do with comfort/ergonomics and overall quality of construction. I didn't think the ANR was bad, though...until I bought my Sennheisers!

I now use the HMEC 25 - KA in the CRJ. All I can say is that (IMO)these things are far and above the telex for comfort, construction, and noise attenuation.

Anyone want to buy my old Telex ANR 500? Used only six months!! $125 plus shipping! Hehehheheh :D

herb said:
[HMEC 25-KA ANR
$515.00
31 db noise reduction
15 ANR
16 passive
5.9 oz
30 hours battery life

[/B]

Where did you find the 25 KA ANR for $515? There website lists it for $729. Thanks -Bean

From the web site "HMEC 25-KA MSRP $729.00 "

herb said:
Thanks for the info.
After 8 hours of wearing the HMEC-25 it didn't hurt your ears? If that's the case, I'll probably buy one. It just looks like it just wouldn't set right on your ears.

My last day at work was a 7.5 hour/7 leg adventure and the only thing about the day that didn't bother me was the headset. ;-) I'm sure you can get your cash back if you find them uncomfortable....But I doubt you will.

Thanks for all the responses. I just couldn't make up my mind and all of your comments really helped out.

Additional Headset Info

Ok, one additional question to complicate the topic:

Sennheiser 25 KA ANR versus the Bose X- Which is better?

Thanks

Latest resources

Back