Headset for CRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I was just wondering what you CRJ pilots are using for headsets. I'm thinking about replacing my David Clamps and am looking for some advice. Do you use the ones with only one earpiece that leaves you other ear open, or do you use ones with two earpieces?

I'm thinking about the

Telex Airman 750.

Any opinions???

I got a Telex 850 about a month ago, and I like it. No battery pack to worry about. I used to use the 750, which was ok. However, with the 850 I don't have to have the volume turned up as much and it's just as comfortable or maybe more comfortable than the 750.

Yeah, that's another one I was thinking about. It's quite a bit more expensive though. Like twice as much!

LINK

It says that the headset "recieves power from the microphone bias (Active Intercom, Hot Mic). This unit will not work without an Active Intercom or Hot Mic."

I'm assuming that the CRJ has the Active Intercom or Hot Mic. Am I correct? I imangine it would have to!

Yes, the CRJ has a "hot mike" system, which can be selected on or off by either pilot. Here's where I got my 850, best price I could find, service was a little slow, however.http://store.ialfinc.com/avpilshop.html

I use the Telex 750's with earplugs to make it nice and quiet. The CRJ cockpit has some wind noise caused by the wipers, and some other noise caused by all the cooling fans.

I have tried the ANR 500, and the ANR 850 within days of each other, and I found my 750's with ear plugs are quieter.

The 500's are a little bulky, so make sure you have a nice tall flight bag to fit them in. For the money, I would get the 750's and steal free earplugs from the chief pilots and spend the $200 saved on drinks on the overnight.

My wife bought me Bose X for Christmas and, unfortunately, the airplane is still simply too loud even for a top of the line noise cancelling headset.

Especially at high-speeds and at virtually any speed below around 15,000 feet the combination of the wind-noise and the cooling fans are extremely noisy -- far louder, in fact, than any other jet i've flown.

Earplugs with the Telex 750s worked best for me, but in the spirit of a happy marriage i'll wear the Bose X.

PS - After a few thousand hours sitting between the Garrett sisters on the J31 and the Metro I'm probably deaf anyway. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Sennheiser Rocks

i just bought a sennheiser HMEC-25 KAP and it is awesome. Light weight, small earcup, great active noise canceling. The KAP model uses the mic jack to power the ANR. Even better You can purchase it through ALPA and get 12 months same as cash no interest. Go to ALPA members only click on shopping mall and there is a link to sennheiser. They just debit my checkcard each month. IMHO blows away the Telex 850.

p.s. the HMEC 45 is also very comfortable but has no earcup.

I second CL-65Link...

I have been wearing the 850's for about 8 months now... Got them on E-bay, brand new for well less than $300.00...

I look at the volume setting's of most guys I fly with and they are all a good 25% higher than mine. The only exceptions are those with Bose X or 750's with Earplugs which are equal to or slightly less than my settings.

Personally.. the best headsets I have bought to date, and I did try all the ANR's by Telex and a few others.

I have a question for those using 850's. I'm using 750's with earplugs and they drive me crazy. I hate the ear plugs. With the 850's can you get away without using earplugs, and if so how bad is the noise level. Thanks

Latest resources

Back