Harsh Reality Interrupts Southwest Myth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I blame Mesa.

What happened to the SWA/FO's smackdown on General Lee. That was classic! Did the moderators remove it?

Yeah, put it back!!!! Or I'll just type it again and again.

As much as many would like to talk about our productivity and blah blah blah. We cannot loose our significant cost advantage. I cannot believe how many people actually believe that the recent negative news is al a conspiracy during contract times. We ARE loosing our cost advantage. Will we retain/regain the sizeable advantage?? Only time will tell.

Bus

Holy smokes! A SWA pilot that didn't let the hallucinogenics affect him/her in new hire class! I don't believe it! Are you an impostor???? :D

As much as many would like to talk about our productivity and blah blah blah. We cannot loose our significant cost advantage. I cannot believe how many people actually believe that the recent negative news is al a conspiracy during contract times. We ARE loosing our cost advantage. Will we retain/regain the sizeable advantage?? Only time will tell.

Bus

Put down the koolaid dude ... out side of contract time they show all these great slides during EPT showing how we are not losing our advantage. Nothing changed, but the slides are gone. I'm not saying we don't have to watch our backs, or that the head shead is telling lies. What I am saying is watch the emphasis shift. There is always bad news as well as good news, but they sure are hard selling the bad news right now.

We do need to maintain our advantage, and this pilot group will do that. But don't start giving back raises we don't even have yet (is that you Trent?). If GK wants to convince me to take a pay cut he has 25 million arguments that will convince me.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath ... we had ONE quarter that wasn't as good as we'd like. We still made a profit. If that is what a bad quarter looks like I'll take it!

I always tell my son (I got this from his teacher) to be a STAR. Stop, Take a deep breath And Relax. Its been working, really!

I cannot believe how many people actually believe that the recent negative news is al a conspiracy during contract times. We ARE loosing our cost advantage. Will we retain/regain the sizeable advantage?? Only time will tell.

This drone wondered off the SWA Borg collective and is aware of his reallity.:p

If you are making a profit, you don't take cuts. EVER.

Hang in there SWA guys, I know times are rough... ;) TC

Hum? Some of the post sound plain scared don't they? The first time they hear their management talking "hard times on the horizon". 61 out of 73 markets loosing money. Ouch!

Getting really tired of the shortsightedness of this "61 of 73 markets" statement. Of course, I should be used to it, given our collective society's obtuse outlook on our nation's status in general, and in the global community, what with everyone tired of us dabbling in the middle east, as if there were actually some kind of threat by extremists! Amazing how unimportant 9/11 has become. Ah, but that's another subject.

Back to the "61 of 73" quote, this is a classic misrepresentation of SWA's performance. Sounds like 61 of 73 cities, doesn't it? It's 61 of 73 city pairs, folks, out of a thousand, and only those started in the last couple of years, during which the company endures known startup costs, and during which they likely do not expect to immediately gain back their costs. SWA is in a market for the long haul, and plans to regain their investments over time, which is why they are so slow to enter a new market in the first place. Where were the articles two months after the addition of winglets, condemning the company for such a wasteful endeavor, one that had used up so much money?!

Did the brilliant author of this statistic take the time to see how much money has been "lost" (or not) on the thousand other city pairs that have existed, and not just the ones in Texas and California? Why is there no emphasis on SWA's response that even BWI lost money in the beginning, and now is a profound success?

Just another example of how fun it is to report doom and gloom, especially concerning the one successful airline. Also an example of how fun it is for some to consume the doom and gloom and dish it on to others with embellishment added, regardless of how inaccurate.

Guys..

There are folks that just sit around all day and think of ways of messing with certain stocks.Very often the manor or means that they use has NOTHING to do with facts.In some cases its plain outright illegal to spread certain types of misinformation.

The responce to this is a misguided emotional responce.
People shy away from stocks or companies based upon this widely reported distortion with total disregard for the facts.

Kinda like our hurricane season.
When they announced the storm total FORECAST oil prices went up.Nothing to do with any FACTS...Just a forecast.

Or..How about the guy thats always telling you what stock he thinks is hot.What do you think happens EVERY morning after his show?

So a guy that has made a living running airlines into the ground comes along and says SWA is screwing up their business plain after 36 years of being profitable.

You have to ask yourself..

Whats in it for him and why is he all of a sudden in the news?
What was the reporters name and whats his history with regard to the airline business.
Why would a newspaper run a story that only told part of the facts?Ect..ect.

What ever happens it will be well thought out by some very smart people.

Trust me when i say that they dont pay attention to hired mouth pieces or out of work airline CEOs just looking for a check.

Musta been a pretty slow news day for them to have to dig up this junk.

Move along..Nothing here to see.

Latest resources

Back