Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ChickenHawk

skydiverdriver:

As some of the other posts stated ChickenHawk is about a "Slick", UH-1 pilot in 1964. Even though we are all for the most part fixed wing pilots, you will get a lot out of the book. It starts off with Flightschool, training, basic aircraft stuff etc...Robert Mason is truly an excellent writter...you will truley believe you are flying along with him as his co-pilot. The middle of the book you are so hooked you can not put it down. It talks about IFR flying, flying above the ground at 50 feet, crashing...really do not waste anytime, go get the book, then write me a private message and tell me what you think.

At Flightsaftey a few of our chief pilots were old Military pilots and they all said, ChickenHawk was the only book they ever read that was 100% accurate.

Another aviation book

I guess that while we're off the subject I'll suggest a book I read several years ago.

Takeoff, by Bonnie Tiburzi, ISBN: 0517552639. Bonnie was the first woman pilot to be hired by the majors. She flies for American. The book's worth reading, female issues notwithstanding but because her experiences with building time, hiring, furloughs, etc., in the '60s and '70s show that the more things change the more they stay the same.

There are a bunch of used copies available on amazon.com for $5.75 each. Enjoy!

Could it be.....?

Chickenhawk: Back in the World: Life After Vietnam
by Robert C. Mason (Paperback - May 1994)

Re: Aviation books

Pilotadjuster said:
As an aside, anyone know what finally became of the author? At the end of the book he discusses charges against him for drug smuggling, etc. I think this was published in early 1980s. Author is Robert Mason.

Try Robert Mason's Website

He has a couple of other books, really amazing guy.

Last edited:
Robert Heale Mason of Karate/Guitar fame
Robert C. Mason of Chickenhawk fame

.....or you might want to visit the Andy Neill website at

http://www.andyneill.com/

Course it's not me, but we share the name anyway.

.......and now that dmilller has the right website up, it makes this post irrelevant.

Last edited:
"Tracon" by Paul McElroy is a suspense novel about a mid-air collision between two airliners caused by faults in the ATC computer systems and TCAS. This author writes as if he was once an air traffic controller - the lingo and factual information is dead-on. The book is a paperback availble for under $10. I read it last summer and couldn't put it down.

Robert Mason

Thanks for the site!

Recently "reread" (ok, book on tape - im in the car waaay too much) Chickenhawk and was hoping there was a follow up of some sort. Was thinking he was a pretty amazing guy as well.

Robert Mason

Guys thanks for all the great info. I never knew Mr. Mason had other books let alone a website...good stuff!!!!!

My Two Cents

I'm about half way through "Fate is the Hunter," by Ernest K. Gain. A man's trials and triumphs in late 1930's air transportation. A great book, which is why I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.:)

Latest resources

Back