Handheld GPS recommendation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brando632

I'm interested in getting a handheld GPS for GA flight, and was wondering what everyone would recommend. I dont need anything special, just the basics like bearing, track, groundspeed, distance and ETA. I'm not looking to spend too much, less than 500 new, or I would be willing to go for a used one also. Ebay has the Magellan GPS 315 for cheap, but theres a lot of them for sale and thats the only new model on ebay. Any reason everyone would be trying to get rid of these?
Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited:
I have a Garmin GPS III Pilot. I really like it too. When I got it, they didn't come with the yoke mount, PC cable and cigarette lighter cable. I have since purchased the cables and RAM Mount components. I have seen them on many web sites for right at $500 + shipping. It's a good unit. I just wish that handhelds could be IFR certified :( . For what it's worth, I really like the new GPSMAP 196 but for $1000 I'll stick to taking lessons for the instrument and commercial ratings/certificates.

Based on your post, it doesn't sound like you need a moving map or database. If not, look at the Garmin eTrek. Ultra cheap ($99 on sale often). Easy on batteries and small. 500 manually entered waypoints. works good as a backup for me personally. I read once about being able to dump airport and nav info from a database, but never pursued it. It is possible though.

There are other small, cheap units. But I believe Garmin has the best product in this category. got a Pilot III and Lowrance Airmap also. Hard to beat any of the Garmin products. Would like to get ahold of a 196 one of these days!!

I use a Garmin 92 in my Cessna 140. Under $500, full North American database, moving map (b & w), 12 channel receiver (you don't have to stick the antenna in the window to get a signal), small size. Has worked flawlessly for the past 5 years.

gps

The Magellan 315 is great,you can add the aviation if you need,hunt them on buy it now on ebay sometimes new under 100$,well worth the money,just now i`m trying the etrex venture,no base map but fits better in the pocket,the magellan seems easier to use,they came out now with the magellan sportrak kinda upgraded 315,looks good but have not tried it,both will do a great job 100-150$ range.

I use a Garmin eTrek Legend. It is the base model eTrek with a moving map, which is very useful. It sells for around $250. I personally think this is the best for a basic GPS as it is very small, uses only 2 AA batteries that will go for 15 or so hours. Unfortunately, it does not come with an aviation database, but I just went ahead and manualy entered all the waypoints that I needed. The odometer on it right now is reading about 29,000 miles, so obviously I use it quite a bit. If you really know how to use it, you can do just about anything with it.

I love my Garmin 195. With the 196 out, the used market for the 195 has softened a bit, and you can probably find one for around $500. It's a lot of GPS though, and may be overkill for your needs. Still, a lot of the features come in handy. I particularly like the HSI display.

Garmin eTrex, upload airports from Jepp

I use a Garmin eTrex for my VFR flying. I use Jeppesen FliteMap to upload all the airports in my local area as waypoints. That way I can simply tell the eTrex to navigate to whatever airport I'm aiming at and it will provide a nifty little "fly this direction" indicator. With rebate from Garmin, it came in at about $200.

...Dave

I use a Garmin GPSMap 76 for flying and recommend it highly. Bigger screen than the eTrex or GPS III/V, though it lacks the HSI-like display both of those have. It does offer more navigation detail and can display up to 10 fields of navigation data. It doesn't support the exhaustive Jepp database, but there are now ways to "roll your own" with much of the same functionality (airports, airspace boundaries, navaids, intersection data, etc--and without using up precious user-defined waypoints). It's a perfect size, too, and isn't cumbersome when mounted to the yoke like the 295 and 196. You can get these new on eBay for under $300.

The GPS V is a great compromise, as you'll probably get more use out of it on the ground since it includes the software to do turn-by-turn autorouting in your car, and has that precious HSI display in addition to the moving map for in-flight use.

I second the move for the garmin GPS 90 or 92. I spent about 600 hours ferrying with a GPS 90 and it only dropped the signal out west a couple times (only for 30 mins) . It always seemed to fit perfectly wedged between the panel and the windshield on all the airplanes. Only 4 AA batteries and would last 12 hours. .
The GPS 195 was overkill for me. Who wants 5 poulds hanging off the yoke? I want to see the instruments.

the GPS 92 is the same unit except it has a rockwell 12-channel parallel reciever.

great unit for bearing track and ETA.

Latest resources

Back