Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sydeseet

Huge Member
Was at TEB today and saw what I think was a GVSP taking off in American Express livery. I didn't realize they were certified yet. Anyone know for sure??? What caught my eye was the seven windows on the starboard side. If only they'd called me.........right.

I THINK on the late model G-V's the seventh window was an option... I think the G-V looked funny with only 6 windows... needs more...

I know the 7th window will be standard on all G-550's (G-Vsp's)

Fly Safe!

All right.....
we know he is here....
where is the Gulfstream guru????

You WILL get the answer to your tough question!

Yes the 7th window was an option on the later G5's.

The first one converted was a demo that was orignally converted after the first 30 or 40 deliveries. The initial problem was the addition of the forward window, right side only, ment that the galley had to be in the aft. This was a problem because the early G5 deliveries had a problem with having an aft CG. In fact the first airaraft were actually deliveried with forward balast. This was due to the fact that the first BR710's were over weight.

This forced a lot of companies to go with the forward galley, hence no need to purchase the 7th window option.

The other reason it was not so popular was cost. In most cases, (if you did not have a fwd galley) the CEO was purchasing the extra window just so the crew rest area could have a window. Needless to say this was not high on their list of options to purchase.

G550

SN 501, the original GV test article, and now back at Gulfstream as the aerodynamic test platform for the G550, was the first GV to have the seventh window. When the GV was certified, there were over 1500 technical orders that had to be applied to 501 to bring it into type compliance. During the six months that it took to conform this airplane, the seventh window was added. The 7th window STC was paid for and owned by Alan Paulsen. The STC was acquired by Gulfstream for application on the G550.

Just as a point of interest, the G550 has some innovative drag lowering aerodynamic devices, some of which only come into play at speeds of .85 Mach and above.

The original aft Center-of-Gravity limit for the GV was 43% Mean Aerodynamic Chord (althought the original factory demontrator, SN502, which remained experimental during it's 2500 hour demo life, had a CG of just beyond 48%). Shortly after certification the stall warning computer algorithms were recalculated (by a test pilot, not an engineer!) and a 45% MAC aft CG limit resulted allowing adequate margins for any interior configuration.

The G550 earned Provisional Certification from the FAA on Wednesday, December 11, 2002.

GV

Last edited:
Re: G550

GVFlyer said:
The G550 earned Provisional Certification from the FAA on Wednesday, December 11, 2002.

Congrats to Gulfstream on the G550 Certification... looks like a very nice machine... When it comes time for us to purchase an Ultra-Long range aircraft, I hope this is the one we end up with...

I am curious what kind of "new" drag reducing techniques are being applied that would only come in play above Mach 0.85?

The best feature on -501 had to be the paint job :cool: , but that interior had to go :eek: - to many horses.

Last edited:
Looking on the internet at pricing, is the asking price of $43.5 million really a good price for a GVSP? Also found is a used, early serial number GV, asking price of $30.5 million. Is a GVSP really worth $13 million over a used GV?

The way the values of GV's have fallen, I'd think the straight GV is a much better, less risky deal. Chances are, when the market turns around in the next couple of years, the value of GV's will probaby climb and you can make a pretty good profit.

To be fair, I haven't found any pricing on the GEX or the BBJ, I'm sure they are suffering also. You got to wonder, are there any more customers left interested in long range business jets? The only ones really able to afford them are the top Fortune 100 companies, and Fracs, and they have already made their purchases.It seems like now, the new used GV customer is someone or company that would normally be in the market for a GIVSP or F900EX, and they are now able to take advanage of the deals and move up in airplane at very little additional costs. I believe F900EX's are running at $28 million.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back