• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream overrun at TEB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its the internet, everyone makes 250k flying a lear 60 and wouldn't ever lower themselves to fly a GIV for a charter company.

Not worried and honestly I couldn't care less about Meridian.
Point is your post smacked of D'baggery toward the crew of the G-IV that went off the end and toward Meridian for your implication that the ad was posted to replace them.

Just sayin'................

That G-IV crew made the decision to continue the landing almost 2/3 the way down a 6,000' runway. I think a little D'baggery toward them is warranted.

Just sayin'.............

Not worried and honestly I couldn't care less about Meridian.
Point is your post smacked of D'baggery toward the crew of the G-IV that went off the end and toward Meridian for your implication that the ad was posted to replace them.

Just sayin'................

I wouldn't call it D'baggery (if that's a real word) but more of an observation.
The only thing that's going to keep humans in the cockpit 30 years down the road is our ability to make GOOD decisions.
If Meridian is a member of ARG-US and /or Wyvern, I would think that they would take a hit for keeping the crew on.
Either way, I don't have a dog in this fight and from what you've posted, neither do you, so why are you getting so wraped about this?

That G-IV crew made the decision to continue the landing almost 2/3 the way down a 6,000' runway. I think a little D'baggery toward them is warranted.

Just sayin'.............

I wouldn't call it D'baggery (if that's a real word) but more of an observation.
The only thing that's going to keep humans in the cockpit 30 years down the road is our ability to make GOOD decisions.
If Meridian is a member of ARG-US and /or Wyvern, I would think that they would take a hit for keeping the crew on.
Either way, I don't have a dog in this fight and from what you've posted, neither do you, so why are you getting so wraped about this?

Because I know both of these guys who were flying. They're both great individuals and very good pilots and neither K.V., you, or I know the ful circumstances behind what happened.
Maybe we all ought to wait and see what the NTSB has to say about the incident.

Maybe we all ought to wait and see what the NTSB has to say about the incident.

I did post from the NTSB, they landed almost 2/3 down the runway with a little over 2,200 remaining on a wet runway?

Rice brings out a good point don't be in such a rush to hang these guys.

Also from the NTSB report: "The airplane touched down at 120 knots and the copilot stated a red crew advisory system (CAS) message generated for ground spoiler deployment. Thrust reversers then deployed and braking began immediately, with activation of the anti-skid system"

Do you know what the FOM tells you to add to the landing distance when ground spoilers are completely inop? It's been a while since I was in a G4 but the penalty is substantial.

Have you ever flown a G4 in a gusty day and tried to land with no ground spoilers? No where does it say that the FO pulled the speed brakes when he saw the red message. SO he had no auto Ground Spoiler deployment and no manual back up.

When I first started in Gulfstreams I was flying with a know it all captain who was too busy watching me and not running the checklist, he forget to arm the Ground Spoilers on a similar day, and I didn't catch it. From experience I can tell you in that case, their is no way not to land long, you are going to float.

Granted the guy flying landed long BUT that wasn't the only thing that went wrong that day. So, until the full story comes out don't be in such a rush to crucify a guy with a family.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20101004X11133&key=1

"The copilot's statement was consistent with the PIC's. The copilot added that the airplane touched down about halfway down the runway and although the spoilers didn't initially deploy, the CAS light extinguished before he could manually deploy the spoilers."

From the report...

I have seen this happen MANY times when you have a smooth touchdown, the CAS goes off then you have spoiler deployment. It sounds too me like this is what might have happened. Using the rule of thumb of 1 knot,100 feet he floated at least 2600 feet based on the SIC statement of ref +10 crossing the threshold. Sounds like he was a little fast, floated a little long and good thing for him he had EMAS to save him and the plane. At least he walked away from it!! ;)

Arrestor Roulette

How about we devise a game called Arrestor Roulette.

Right now, Im thinking of the numerous possibilites to the rules for touchdown and whether that bed saves your a$$ or not. Lets see who can land the furthest and still stay on the bed without blasting through a fence.

Opening round commences at TEB.

Register now.

Latest resources

Back