Gulfstream Demo Pilot in SAV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASA_DFW

I am looking for information about the demo job in SAV.

QOL
Pay
Schedule
Retirement
Advancement in the company.

Any other info would be great.

Thanks

Someone is starting at the end of this month. Maybe the forthcoming job posting is for another position. TC

P.S.--They are going to keep the G550/450 line open when the new "wide-body" enters production so they'll need a bunch of demo guys.

They were interviewing for the mid cabin demo position ( G150, G200 ).. Very difficult to get in there without some sort of recommendations.. Will hire off the street for large cabin but you will need to be typed with intl experience. Class act operation all the way

I am looking for information about the demo job in SAV.

QOL
Pay
Schedule
Retirement
Advancement in the company.

Any other info would be great.

Thanks

Gulfstream hires pilots in three categories:

Cat I - Experienced Gulfstream Pilots

Cat II - Experienced Transport Pilots (non-Gulfstream)

Cat III - Experienced Pilots

It is a great organization with superb leadership: VP - Randy, USAF, Chief Test Pilot for the B-1 Bomber; Demo Director - Roc, Navy Captain, Test Pilot, Shuttle Simulator Pilot; John, Chief Test Pilot, Marine, brought the GV/G300/G350/G400/G450/G500/G550 to market, conceived and implemented every symbol, number and graphic on the Planeview System. Smartest man I've ever met and a real load hacker.

The pilots are an exemplary group as well. There are pilots who instructed at the Air Force TPS at Edwards AFB and others who taught at the Navy Test Pilot School at Patuxent River. Bob is a former Presidential Pilot and chief pilot for Atlas Airlines, Ron is a former Vice Presidential Pilot. Kent was the Chief Test Pilot for the B-2 Bomber. Blaine piloted the Space Shuttle twice.

There are actually three departments in GAC Flight Ops - Flight Test, Demo and Airborne Product Support. If you are qualified you can be hired directly into Flight Test which is predominantly a military operation. Demo is about 50/50 former military and the recent hires there have started in Airborne Product support.

It is a job for life. Gulfstream is the profit center for General Dynamics generating over 40% of their profits. Compensation is industry competitive. Unfortunately, Gulfstream just ended their defined benefit pension plan for new hires in order to get in line with GD policies. There is a company match 401K and full medical and dental.

Demo guys get four days of Personal Free Time per month. When they return from a trip they are also given days off equivalent to the number of days they were gone minus one day.

The company is looking for team players who play well with others. They are not looking for someone to solve all their problems - they already hired that guy. Ego works against you. A good personality and a professional appearance are a must as regardless of department you will be part of the sales effort and will be representing the company.

The hiring process is controlled by the HR department now - and has changed quite a bit in the past year. To apply, you MUST submit your resume via www.gulfstream.com/careers when the "window" is open for resumes (usually one week). I am unsure of any hints or formulas that HR looks for - but all resumes submitted then get filtered for min requirements (usually ATP/1500TT) and these names get forwarded to Flight Ops to determine who will be invited to the interview.

Interviewees are provided travel to SAV and hotel; interviews usually start mid morning and end mid-afternoon. Interview style is one on one with the VP Flt Ops, Director Demo/Corp Travel, and 3 Chief Pilots (about 45 mins each). Lunch with all available GAC pilots is your chance to meet everybody else.

Generally, people offered positions learn of this via email or an offer in the mail about 2 weeks later.

Again, you must check/submit your resume to the website during the window. Do not trust the "job sentry" to email you about openings. I recommend going to the /careers website each Monday to check job openings. Though the job title might say "Mid Cabin Demo Co-Pilot", applicants interview with all chief pilots and are placed where the need is...some have gone into Large or Mid Cabin Demo, but recently, most into APS (Airborne Product Support) - the G100 section.

As of Oct 07, the latest window is closed and HR should soon forward all filtered names to GAC Flight Ops for interviews (in Nov?). My guess is that there will be another week-long window opened up for applications before the end of 07...for interviews in Jan??...that's just a guess.

Cheers.......G

PS. Amen to what GV said.......

Is it possible to be hired there if you are non-military?

Honest question and NOT a flame...thanks....

Is it possible to be hired there if you are non-military?

Boiler--They have hired several airline types in the past. I'd hate to go in there without either a 'big G' type or an in-house recommendation--OR BOTH! :D TC

Latest resources

Back