Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AerroMatt

Elmer Pudpuller
I highly recommend the tune, "Soaring" on my friend's MySpace site. I met Guy 3 years ago when he was working as a lineboy in coastal Oregon, and have kept in touch with him since then. He has never flown in a Sailplane, but I believe he captured the beauty and romance of soaring in this guitar instrumental.

Click on this link, http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=87980626 then click on the link to "Soaring" to listen or download.

Please feel free to post comments on his music here, and I'll forward them to Guy. He's a bit shy about this tune, and doesn't seem to understand just how powerful a melody he wrote. I urged him to put it back on his MySpace site so I could share it with everyone here.

Best Regards

Last edited:
My favorite soaring tunes:

Soul Meets Body -Death Cab
Elvis Presley in America -U2

Edit: I listed to the song... it was good. The guy is definitely a good musician, but the song doesn't really hit the "soaring" vibe for me. It's too peaceful. For me the experience of flying gliders is a little more intense...

People think that flying gliders is peaceful and quiet. It's not peaceful. It's not quiet. I'm always wondering how far I can make it if I run out of lift. That's not a peaceful thought. Soaring is a thrill, no doubt, but it's not peaceful.

-Goose

Last edited:
Soaring is also pretty intense for me. I don't think of it like floating on a bed of feathers just becoming so relaxed I want to doze off. I always like to push and cover some ground. To me if you are relaxing and not thinking of your next move, you aren't doing it right.

And this isn't any criticism of the song, I can't listen, no speakers on the computer I am at now. Just the general way I think of soaring.

Of course once I am in the air, I don't have a song in my head, it's all vario then.

The Song-Writer replies

"lol, actually Matt I named the song after seeing a seagull just floating on the breeze so it wasn't really meant to be about gliders or soar-planes. But I do appreciate your efforts. Want to see more reviews on this tune? Go here..... http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/3427.html"

This is FYI for everyone who has checked out Guy's site. And BTW Oly, Guy wrote this in reply to your post which I forwarded to him. tis OK. Its a tune for dreamers, artists, and maybe pilots...

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject, another great soaring tune is "Naturally" by Kalapana, from the '70s.

Written for a friend of theirs that was killed in a hang gliding accident, was very popular in Hawaii.

Aeromatt - thanks for the link! The guy's talented for sure! As far as the song being "too peaceful" for soaring - I totally disagree. I guess flying gliders is like women; some guys prefer blonds, some like brunettes, etc. I think flying gliders is more about flowing “with” the nature, not fighting it. Not sure I'm making any sense, but basically to me it's a very relaxing and "slow" experience, so this song really hit "my soaring vibe!” Thanks again!

Aeromatt - thanks for the link! The guy's talented for sure! As far as the song being "too peaceful" for soaring - I totally disagree. I guess flying gliders is like women; some guys prefer blonds, some like brunettes, etc. I think flying gliders is more about flowing “with” the nature, not fighting it. Not sure I'm making any sense, but basically to me it's a very relaxing and "slow" experience, so this song really hit "my soaring vibe!” Thanks again!

I think fighting with nature couldn't be further from the truth, the best soaring pilots are more in tune with nature than anyone else and can use it to the maximum to achieve some great flights.

If you want to just go up and relax and enjoy thermalling over the airport there is nothing wrong with that, it's great. But for me, once I realized staying up was no longer a problem, I wanted to go places, see how much ground I could cover, see how fast I could cover it. Also I fly over some of the best soaring territory in the country and it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

Olipilot - I think we are actually saying the very same thing - just using different words to describe something we both truly enjoy.

I thought all glider pilots heard "Windmills of your mind" while soaring?

Last edited:
Enya- Orinoco Flow

Latest resources

Back