• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No hate at all but this is exactly why you'll never make money.

How do you know how much I make? I have a side business/job that earns more than what I make flying.... and I am doing something to correct the low pay issue.... part of the ALPA movement here for a decent contract.

How much should an airline that flies 4 people to Riverton, WY pay its labour? This is not continental express that flies a full rj to higher density American cities! It's GLA! Even if they paid double, it would still be less than we are worth.

Emb beat me to it, but as he pointed out this is the way our profession has been done for decades.

How much should an airline that flies 4 people to Riverton, WY pay its labour? This is not continental express that flies a full rj to higher density American cities! It's GLA! Even if they paid double, it would still be less than we are worth.

Emb beat me to it, but as he pointed out this is the way our profession has been done for decades.

And for decades, you could actually count on moving up the ladder to make it a quality major carrier within say 10 years. Now you need to maneuver through years of substandard pay while keeping a clean record and then have luck to make it to a carrier that pays 100 grand a year or more with a decent schedule. And then hope you don't get furloughed during your first 10 years on the new glamor job. How much does a corporate pilot make flying 4 people to Riverton, WY?

How do you know how much I make? I have a side business/job that earns more than what I make flying.... and I am doing something to correct the low pay issue.... part of the ALPA movement here for a decent contract.

You're doing it right then! I owe ya a beer!

Just think though...most people aren't doing what you're doing.

Def a possibility so I ask you this... Would you rather work at a dead end computer job selling avionics day in day out in a somewhat hostile enviroment making between 17K and if your lucky and I mean real lucky 25-30K tops? Or make around the same flying at Lakes and possibly move on to bigger and better things? That's an honest question.

I'd do something else, somewhere else if necessary.

I grew up in Colorado, out in Evergreen and Golden. That's some of the most beautiful area in the country, and it was really hard to leave it. But I knew I if I didn't, I'd be facing decisions like "should I go to Great Lakes?". Leaving Colorado was the best thing possible for my aviation career. However... I know some people don't, under any circumstances, want to leave that area. That's understandable, but such inflexibility can come at a heavy price if your timing wasn't right with the aviation market.

If you were willing to move, there's no reason you couldn't do considerably better than topping out at $25-30k. But you're you, and I'm me. I respect your decision, even if I don't understand it.

If you were willing to move, there's no reason you couldn't do considerably better than topping out at $25-30k. But you're you, and I'm me. I respect your decision, even if I don't understand it.

I packed up and moved from IL to SW FL for what I thought was a good job (boy did that bite me in the a$$), so I would do it again no problem. My issues that face me I'm a low time guy trying to start out in this industry. Not too many options open to me at this point. Thanks for the help though I take it you drive a WRX nice choice.

I packed up and moved from IL to SW FL for what I thought was a good job (boy did that bite me in the a$$), so I would do it again no problem. My issues that face me I'm a low time guy trying to start out in this industry. Not too many options open to me at this point. Thanks for the help though I take it you drive a WRX nice choice.

Yeah, I understand. It's pretty rough out there still, and I was very lucky I started out when I did.

I wish I had a WRX. I used to race one on track days with a friend, but those days are long past now. Someday I hope to have one though!

My loan isn't 100K, rather 63K to be exact that's ratings plus degree. Nobody pays loans back in 10 years unless they can afford to. I'm looking at around $450-550 a month much more reasonable. Obviously as I make more money I'll pay more to get rid of it asap.

Just a quick lesson on economics for ya. The interest you pay on those student loans is a tax write-off. Your probably only paying 4 or maybe 5 percent on those loans, after taxes that gets dropped to 2-3%, or less in many cases. You can take the extra money you were going to pay down on those loans and invest in the market. You should have no problem making 5-10% interest in the market right now. In other words, by paying back those student loans early, rather than investing that money in the market, you are loosing money. Take the extra money and invest it, you will be better off in the long run! As you pay off your interest and you start to pay more towards the principle, then pay more money down towards the loans.

Unless I'm missing something there is no garuntee in the stock market. Are you referring to corporate bonds etc. etc.

Just an FYI, due to no upgrades for about 9 months, there is a huge back log of FOs waiting to upgrade at Lakes. New-hire pilots should expect to sit in the right seat for at least two years.

Latest resources

Back