• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GPAC Is Dead and Illegitimate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yessir, the very point of a representative republic. My central issue with GPAC is that they have not put forward a slate of candidates, so far, that I can look at and say “they will speak for us” therefore I intend to boycott this election. You sound like a thoughtful person with good intent and I thank you for the civil exchange.

Jetspeed a question to you is did you nominate someone that you thought would "best speak for you"? I don't mean it harsh just a question. If you didn't then you only have yourself to blame as to why the slate is so thin. (by your standards)

What you will see soon is the candidates will be presenting a short bio... Take a look see what you like what you don't. My contact info will be on it.

You might not like what I have to say but you'll get my view, and the view of what the NJI pilots are telling me as I do my job on the road.

Jetspeed a question to you is did you nominate someone that you thought would "best speak for you"?

I did, although at the time I did not realize it. I named 4 friends that I would trust to speak for me. Little did I know that they would appear on "the list". I have attempted to rectify that misunderstanding and hope it has been corrected. Only one name remains of that 4. Hint....He is an expert on BBQ! You on the other hand I have not met! Only here on FI have I been able to read your postings. I do know your name and look forward to reading your email from GPAC. So far the silence is deafening. Best of luck in your efforts. I have flown with most of the other pilots from the A side and have found them quite professional and interesting to be on the road with. Looking forward to flying with you as well! Best Regards, FJS

We do expect those we work with in the interest of the NJI pilots to work via proper protocols.

I agree! Proper protocol would be to withdraw from the process in the absence of a simple majority after the election!

And don’t call me Shirley. (sorry, couldn’t resist)

First, I love the joke! Great movie, great line! :laugh:

Second, to my view, if less than a simple majority of NJI pilots vote, I do not think it necessiates GPAC's withdraw, but it will indicate the amount of weight we can give their opinions (clearly, we would give their opinions more weight if more vote). Right now, there is no other elected bodies, and any other voices speak for themselves alone. Whoever we (the Union) end up working with, we will make their names public so that NJI pilots will know where to voice their concerns. As always, NJI pilots are welcomed and encouraged to talk to the Union directly, via the contact information provided on the website.

The participation of GPAC was never intended to be controversial. When they contacted the Union leadership, we had few contacts within the NJI ranks (spare the NJA-to-NJI transfers). As this process moves forward, we want the NJI pilots involved. For some issues, the outcome is already determined, for others, not so much. Regardless, the more NJI pilots know, the more they are educated and the more they are involved, the better all will be.

Also, thanks for the kind words and civil discussion.

Great exchange of info from NJASAP (BW, Diesel, et al) and NJI pilots... oops, where's GPACs input? As JetSpeed said, "the silence is deafening".

Diesel, I believe you are a NJA guy. The picture changes if your not represented by NJASAP.
Trust me. The union does not represent my interests until I pay dues. Sure I will be come a member in two years. Until then they have a duty only to there members like you

You are mistaken. By law the union must represent all the members of a bargaining unit regardless of membership or dues paying status.

The only question to be resolved is, are you a member of the bargaining unit?

Hope this helps.

F

You are mistaken. By law the union must represent all the members of a bargaining unit regardless of membership or dues paying status.

The only question to be resolved is, are you a member of the bargaining unit?

Hope this helps.

F

NJASAP is not the bargaining agent for NJI pilots until the remission of the "final integration notice" -- the courts take a very black-or-white approach to this issue. NJA-to-NJI transfers, per the applicable LOAs, are still memebrs of the "craft and class" ("bargaining units" do not exist under the RLA -- that's an NLRA term). Consequently, NJASAP has no DFR to NJI pilots until they become members of the "craft and class." Under our negotiated agreement, covered pilots may elect to be fee payers rather than members. The election of such does not affect our DFR to them, but does not grant them other rights of membership.

Hope that helps.

NJASAP is not the bargaining agent for NJI pilots until the remission of the "final integration notice" -- the courts take a very black-or-white approach to this issue. NJA-to-NJI transfers, per the applicable LOAs, are still memebrs of the "craft and class" ("bargaining units" do not exist under the RLA -- that's an NLRA term). Consequently, NJASAP has no DFR to NJI pilots until they become members of the "craft and class." Under our negotiated agreement, covered pilots may elect to be fee payers rather than members. The election of such does not affect our DFR to them, but does not grant them other rights of membership.

Hope that helps.

So BeeDubya,

I guess that for the purpose of this discussion, NJI and NJA are two separate groups. One (NJA) is represented by a union while the other (NJI) is not.

Representation is one thing, membership rights are another. Even in an open shop the union is obligated to represent all members of the class & craft regardless of membership or dues paying status.

It sounds like NJA has an agency shop in place. That's a wholly separate point from the duty of fair representation. One has do do with union security while the other deals with the representation obligation of the union.

F

Well I guess it doesn't matter anymore. I hope somebody steps up and explains this one.

Either the company or union had something to do with this I'm sure. And once again, the NJI pilots are left holding the bag.

Latest resources

Back