Got a Niced New Car Today.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can't top most of those, but here's my sob story:

1994 Honda Accord 201,000 miles and runs like a champ. Has a burn in the back seat from some unidentified object about five years ago, still haven't figured that one out yet. Front left fender has some beautifully customized body work done by a couple high school kids in the Wal Mart parking lot. Milldewed carpet and an exhaust system that sounds horrible, but still runs!

Cheers

I'm an ex-Canyon Dog, Here's the specs on our lovely crew van we used to go into town.

1970 something chevy van. Only the drivers door could be opened from the inside. The sliding side door would swing open unexpectedly when making a left turn. (Very exciting if you happened to be sitting next to it) No key, a screwdriver was used to start it. Leaked more oil than the Exxon Valdeez. Engine had more knocks and pings than a bowling alley. One day while I was PIC, the muffler and entire rear section of the exhaust system departed the vehicle as we cruised down the highway. You definatley did not ever want to park it on any sort of incline because the parking brake was broken and it would pop out of park sometimes. The thing actually did roll away from someone once and ended up in a ditch. (NO, not THE ditch. That woulda been too darn funny.) It was retired shortly there after.

Loved all the car stories!

Until this past summer I had a 1987 Chevy Nova Hatchback. That car had 142,000 miles on it when it finally died and went to car heaven. At the end of its life it would stall out in the rain, the windshield wipers stopped working and the electrics died on it on the way home from Boston. That car held so many memories! It had been in every state on the eastern seaboard. RIP dear old 90Y (I called it Niner Zero Yankee because of the last three digits of my license plate when it was registered in Florida)! I bought that Nova new back in 1987 and it was a faithful friend for so many years. I now own a Hyundai. Nice car but it does not have the personality that old Nova had!

1983 pontiac firebird

wilh all of these car stories..Ive got to tell mine. I was 18 years old, and had a real woody for "sports cars". I had this 1984 plymouth turismo (think ugly 2 door k car) and I had wrecked and hammered the fenders straight. I traded it and some cash for this red 1983 pontiac firebird. 350 V-8, 4-barrel carburetor, black interior, and a nice rumpity-rump exhaust note. I was sold. Being young and stupid, I bought a car that used to be a 6-cylinder (backyard conversion) with roll up windows, it had 250,000 miles and had 12 owners!! (car was 9 years old then.) It also got about 8 mpg.
Two weeks after i bought it i made a left turn at an intersection and hit an oncoming car, it was my fault. Wiped out the whole front end of my beloved red firebird. You would think the story ended there but theres a whole lot more.
I took it to the body shop for an estimate, and it was 1200$. Being young and naiive i was determined to "save" a "good" car from the wrecking yard. Looking back it was like trying to save a hooker from her pimp. I had no job or drivers license (because the wreck i caused i also had no insurance) so i worked a whole summer to pay off the repairs. The next year i replaced the exhaust system, engine, transmission, rearend, wheels, and tires. driving the car down the road it continually bottomed out, and inside it smelled like exhaust fumes. No air conditioner.
Finally the fuel pump quit left me on the side of the road. I tried to open the door to get out and it broke off in my hand. I crawled out and went around to open the door from the outside and it too broke off. I kicked the door in !!!
later i sold the car to my friend for 200$

My car story

I have a 1990 Toyota Celica with 208,000 fun filled miles on it. No A/C but hey it's winter!
I hope I can find a job soon before it dies.
My Blaupunkt CD player still rocks

here is a Horizon fo ride!!

1978 Wagoneer!!!!!

Woody and rusty!! Glub GLUB GLUB goes the 401 V8 as it sucks my pay check down. By the way, I got it from a QX Capt!!

ALOHA ALL

Motorhead stuff....

I think I have this one in the bag:

Car #1:1976 Chevy Vega-133K miles,still going strong.I drove it to STL when I was training at TSA.Hugger Orange,mag wheels,new carpet.I paid $150 for it in 1988.It even has the original owners manual.No rust and only minor body dings.People ask me stuff like "Is that a REAL Vega ?"I even drove it to the GM plant in Lordstown,Ohio where it was built and took a picture.

Car #2:1978 Porsche 924.I have had this almost since high school.I reckon it has 200K+ miles on it-the odometer quit working at 31K.After the fuel injection system started acting up,I just trashed it,built an intake and put on a Holley 2 barrel-works good and parts are cheap.The heater blower quit and Porsche wanted around $300 for a new one,so I "massaged" one from a Chevy pickup and it works OK.Needs seat upholstery BAD-the springs will rip your pants.Next time the electrics act up ("Bosch" is German for Lucas) ,I'm just gonna grab a hunk o' wires and pull,and do it myself.

Car #3.1930 Ford Model "A" sedan.307 Chebby small block,Turbo 350 automatic,9" Ford rear.TCI 4" drop tube axle on the front,stainless 4 link coil over rear.No fenders,primered,leaks in the rain BAD.15 years and 50K miles so far.1200 mile "shakedown cruise" to OH and PA in November 1995-no interior and it was 5F and snowing-only one windshield wiper,with periodic stops on I-77 to clear the windshield.The heater was working overtime,but with no interior (insulation) I could still see my breath as I cussed my idiot judgement.

Car #4 is not a car at all-just my crusty,dusty 1975 Chevy Scottsdale fishin' truck.

Amen I live in the South,elsewise rust woulda claimed em' all (especially the 70 year old Ford).Cars get you where the airplanes are.We did drive the FBO car in Gadsden,AL all the way to Birmingham once,so we could eat at DreamLand BBQ.It was a mid-70's Ford Thunderbird,with the headliner sagging.It cut off a few times and the rear view mirrors were gone,but we made it back OK.

I had two cars:

Car #1 was a 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic Station wagon. My "shag wagon" was built like a freaking tank. It killed one car without taking much damage, and had it's bumper completely ripped off by another car leaving scars that still stand (never found the bastard who did it cuz it was late night and my car was parked). She knocked like a mother F if you stomped the gas, and the AC didin't work to well which sucked in CA in the Summer because that car has more windows than most greenhouses. over 250,000 miles on the OG engine so far. Nowadays it takes 3 minutes for the tranny to go into reverse and about 1 for drive. :)

Car #2 was a 1982 Mazda RX-7 that leaked oil constantly. I love the rotary engine but that oil leak sucks. If I ever drove for more than 30 minutes or got stopped in traffic it would begin to billow smoke (very slight oil leak onto exhaust I think, I was too lazy to ever investigate). I probably ony had about 1/2 the paint still on the car My car cover had more holes than swiss cheese. The engine needed an overhaul so bad that a buddy who had an old saturn could get to 60 faster than me! Still it cornered and braked better than anything else I have driven. But driving down the freeway and looking up to see the tops of truck tires is a little freaky.

Both those cars suck, but I am not gonna get rid of them. Too many memories. Besides, if you can get a chick to go out with you knowing you drive a crappy car you can be assured that she actually likes you.

Skeezer

The Vega bit made me laugh, remembering that the last time I saw a Vega (about 10 years ago) it was on the side of the road burning.
I had a '78 Olds 98 (the worlds biggest car). The wife and I were on the home stretch of an 800 mile journey one August when it suddenly began to get very hot. The A/C had stopped working, so I tried to roll down the electric windows, which suddenly didnt work either (alternator had failed). So now she starts running like crap cuz there's barely any spark which causes raw fuel to be dumped overboard into the clogged catalitic converter. Suddenly, there's an explosion under the car and what's left of the converter is dragging the ground and smoke is seeping in to the cabin of a car with no A/C , the windows stuck up in the middle of Hickville, Louisiana on the hottest day of August - and I'm trying to milk her at 10mph to the next exit 5 miles away, on I-20 with the door open.
I almost got divorced over that one.
Love my T-Bird now.
V1Cutt

Latest resources

Back